Bird nests

ColinHutch

On 19/07/2018 at 09:12, Stewart Johnson said:

For some species (basically crows and pigeons) you can print off a licence from the website of your national government biodiversity body (Natural England, NRW, SNH) which allows nest destruction/disturbance if there's a health & safety issue with the landowners' consent.

Not so in Scotland, licenses are only for aviation safety and public health. Because that's all that the WCA allows SNH to license.

Had the guys go to a site where there was a nest with chicks yesterday morning.

We didnt do the work ( going back in 3 weeks time) but the joy of it is by the time i managed to find another job to do i lost  at least a couple of hundred pounds of working time. 

So even doing the right thing cost me. 

The joys. But if i can i will always give them a chance, even if it is damn pigeons. 

• Like 3

On 17/08/2018 at 07:15, Stewart Johnson said:

For SNHGeneral licence GL03/2018 allows the destruction of nests of a number of common species for public health, public safety or the spread of disease.

But you may have to explain why other methods which ar enon lethal can't be used.

Aviation safety is the next one down the list GL04/2018

The exact wording of the Act is -

(i) for the purposes of preserving public health or public or air safety;
(j) for the purpose of preventing the spread of disease ; or
(k) for the purposes of preventing serious damage to livestock. foodstuffs for livestock. crops. vegetables. fruit.
growing timber or fisheries.
if it is done under and in accordance with the terms of a licence granted by the appropriate authority.

SNH has no autuhority to grant licenses for preserving private safety. A license could be refused if public safety was at stake but could ba assured instead by excluding the public from the area around a dangerous tree. 

This is the situation I found myself in last year. SNH would not grant a license because the public and private occupiers of a hotel car park could be excluded from the danger area until the bird went away.

On 17/08/2018 at 01:16, daltontrees said:

Not so in Scotland, licenses are only for aviation safety and public health. Because that's all that the WCA allows SNH to license.

On 17/08/2018 at 07:15, Stewart Johnson said:

For SNHGeneral licence GL03/2018 allows the destruction of nests of a number of common species for public health, public safety or the spread of disease.

But you may have to explain why other methods which ar enon lethal can't be used.

Aviation safety is the next one down the list GL04/2018

With the GL u don't have to apply for it, its there just to use as long as u have read and understood them and ur work conforms to the conditions.

U get licences for all sorts of things the main 3 used are Environmental Health, Conservation or Crop protection and that specfic GL will list the species u can control and how u are allowed to do it.

For tree work it in reality could be a grey area, ie by rights u couldn't destroy a nest so u can work.

But anyone protecting crops/conservation could shoot a nest of crows/pigeons wether young in it or not.

I know of someone on a big utility job came accross some crow nests, by rights it should of stopped the job, but he spoke to the local farmer who shot all the nests out for crop protection and the job continued as normal

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Has anyone found any really late nesting birds? I’ve just turned up to a site to reduce a large Laurel and have found fresh eggs with a Black Bird nearby giving us some stick. I’m now walking away from the job but I’m surprised to see an active nest this time of year. I’m guessing the hot late weather is to blame right?

4C234134-9575-497B-AD55-EA8F0D73F2FE.jpeg

EEE5A65B-BE51-4799-B929-A337CD5B7862.jpeg

• Like 1