Landy Headlight conversion .?

White Noise

HID kits arent legal tho chaps, Just thought id tell you, Not that that ever stopped me putting them on a car i had a couple of years ago, There are amazingly bright and look cool as .... but any by the book MOT garage would fail them, Luckily i knew mine very well :thumbup1:

HID kits arent legal tho chaps, Just thought id tell you, Not that that ever stopped me putting them on a car i had a couple of years ago, There are amazingly bright and look cool as .... but any by the book MOT garage would fail them, Luckily i knew mine very well :thumbup1:

fitted them in a mates morris minor and it went straight through the MOT

fitted them in a mates morris minor and it went straight through the MOT

I know a few people that have used them and a few that have passed mot's but, by the letter of the law there not legal, like i say tho, it never stopped me and i think the mot place would have to be really anal to fail.

I converted my '54 Series 1 to halogen years ago - well worth doing. Quick, cheap, and much better light. For some reason I usd "Z" beam Cibie conversions not the more usual "H" beam, if I was doing it again I would use "H" beam.

As already posted HID conversions are generally not legal unless several conditions are met. The main conditions are that the whole light unit must be changed so the reflector and lense are right for the light source, the dip beam (arc) must stay on when the main beam comes on (so wiring changed are needed) and there must be some form of self-levelling mechanism either on the lights or suspension (this must be automatic, not a manual knob on the dash). In effect the vehcile after conversion must be the same as it would be if these lights had been fitted from new. This means that it is probably not legal to fit them to the majority of arb vehicles.

Link to DfT factsheet here:-

Aftermarket HID (Xenon) headlamps