Ripped off by tree surgeons

Martin95

7 hours ago, tree-fancier123 said:

I think they have been quite reasonable in asking if anyone local to them wants the job for less money than the quote - pity no ones offered.

I work for a farmer and before I had my tickets and gear just doing hedges and lawns remember well them shopping around when they had to have trees removed high £3k , lowest £1k. I thought there would have been helpful posts from people local to him.

It's generally a good idea to try and weed out bad customers as soon as possible, easily done here.xD Does anyone really want to work for someone who already looks like a potential problem? Well im sure someone will be desperate enough, I just hope they don't end up being the one to get ripped off! 

• Like 2

Looks like a cut and drop job, hard to see from the pics but pretty sure I’d have that on the ground within 30 minutes.  Would you still feel ripped off if I then charged £150 for half hours work? 

My thoughts exactly . It appears from a cursory glance like a stand in fork and gob each stem out in opposing directions . Not technical and barely any climbing . I’d say £150 was pretty do-able given potentially you’d be back in the truck with the engine started inside the hour........and that would include a cup of tea and a nice biccy that I’m sure we’d be treated to !!!

7 minutes ago, stihlmadasever said:

Nah...its a farmer mate

A shilling a day and a horseshit sandwich...

And then a 100 phone calls a month with "couldyajust's" and "what would you advise for the following's" (which actually means - if you give me the benefit of your years of experience, knowledge and training, I'll get dumbo from next door to do it like you said and hope he doesn't break anything/one.)

No thanks - bash it, block number.....

• Like 1

Don't take this the wrong way guys. I totally understand that you need to rally round the sector. I'm not sure though that some of these comments will be helping the image of tree surgeons.

Yes, the tone of the OP was misjudged, but the reaction has been a bit like someone pulling a party popper in a chicken shed.

Admittedly I am not a tree surgeon but I do know about felling trees, and £450 to cut off those two limbs does seem hard to justify. He is doing all the clearing up himself.

Maybe I am just a bit out of touch regarding costs, but the personal nature of the attacks is surely counter productive.

• Like 8
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, the village idiot said:

Don't take this the wrong way guys. I totally understand that you need to rally round the sector. I'm not sure though that some of these comments will be helping the image of tree surgeons.

Yes, the tone of the OP was misjudged, but the reaction has been a bit like someone pulling a party popper in a chicken shed.

Admittedly I am not a tree surgeon but I do know about felling trees, and £450 to cut off those two limbs does seem hard to justify. He is doing all the clearing up himself.

Maybe I am just a bit out of touch regarding costs, but the personal nature of the attacks is surely counter productive.

I only suggested he fell them from the ground as he would be left with 2 ugly stumps . He could do that himself I thought . Possibly helpful ?

23 minutes ago, the village idiot said:

The only post with a bit of thought.

Ste

Intelligent and erudite response .
I work for a few Farmers now and again, and yes, admittedly their budgets can be ‘challenging ‘ on occasion [emoji849], but they can often be an incredibly useful contact.
Great potential chip drop.
Often happy to receive truck loads of cack wood eg willow, softwood etc which can save valuable time returning back to base......and I’ve also been allowed to fish their rivers and shoot their land on occasion .
All of which makes it worthwhile in my opinion, taking a slight hit on the price for what ‘appears’ to be a straight forward quick job [emoji1303]
  • Like 1