£100k Inheritance

donnk

20 hours ago, josharb87 said:

Forgive my ignorance spud, but how’d you double 100k in 10 years? 

Investing in a reasonable equity based Investment trust or ISA. Doubling your money every 10 years is very possible but a fair bit depends on when you make the investment - a long period of slack in the share market is a good time because eventually the market realises shares are significantly undervalued. Currently prices are pretty heated so not a great time to invest large sums but that is why small deposits regularly are a good idea.

A decent financial advisor will be able to give you a few pointers.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/investing/isas/isa-millionaire-beat-warren-buffett-earn-six-figure-income-life/

25 minutes ago, kimtree said:

Invest in bricks and mortar .Buy an investment property and rent it out .The return will be better than what you could get at a bank at present. 

Someone I know had drug dealers in his buy to let, the police raided it causing thousands in damage and took months to fix as it was declared a crime scene.....just saying!!

Some are lucky and their tenants are nice!

Spud I had 3 let properties for about 10 years, I had junkies in 1 for a few months we knew nothing about, it cost a few grand and stress and I’ve a dozen stories of leaky taps and moonlight flits, late payments, stolen rent money on Christmas Eve, blah blah blah!
I had rented out to the wrong folk in the last year, previous to that it was pretty much plain sailing.
If I did it again I’d do Air BnB! Now that’s a good earner!

Spud I had 3 let properties for about 10 years, I had junkies in 1 for a few months we knew nothing about, it cost a few grand and stress and I’ve a dozen stories of leaky taps and moonlight flits, late payments, stolen rent money on Christmas Eve, blah blah blah!
I had rented out to the wrong folk in the last year, previous to that it was pretty much plain sailing.
If I did it again I’d do Air BnB! Now that’s a good earner!

When it’s good, it’s very good and when it’s bad, it’s horrid. Dad and I had to rip out all the carpets when mum’s last tenant went wrong and left us with a lot of cat shit, fleas, empty wine bottles and unpaid rent. I kept the fleas on personally for a couple of weeks afterwards.