Petrol or diesel chipper?

Shaunpaul

So, with the impending emission legislation coming in to force soon, what will people be doing when it's time to upgrade/buy your new machine?

a, don't care.

b, petrol machine and hope there's some sort of duty free red petrol available for such machines.

c, diesel machine with diesel particulate filter, and a possible price increase that goes with new technology.

Also, will the diesel chippers already out there pre DPF, hold their value or even increase in value due to demand if the brand new product has a large price increase?

15 minutes ago, Mark Bolam said:

It's b for me.

If you need to worry about fuel costs for a chipper that much you aren't charging enough.

exactly, i just use white diesel from the pump, comes in at right around £3 per transit fill and switching to petrol wont cost me any more

We have DPF in large ground care mowers already and its fine. Really isn't new tech as such and been in the automotive industry as I'm sure you know for years. Just a 34hp emissions compliant Kubota inc dpf will naturally cost more than a basic bog standard V1105T / V1505 Kubota we see in machines today.

Most probably wont be aware but GreenMech actually offer a 26hp Kubota V1105 normally aspirated diesel engine in their Arborist 150 and have done for years.

Its £1,000 cheaper at retail and wont need to comply with the new regs as it falls under the hp requirement. Its a popular choice in Europe and they don't really understand why we are fixated on 34hp.    

I've sold a couple to councils in the past (due to budget restrictions) and I bet half the folk if not told the hp would never notice...

I think all of a sudden the 26hp Arborist 150 will become popular....

Possibly down the line in 10 years time you might see a 2018 non compliant machine worth more than a 2019 compliant machine as the used buyer will see it as an easier thing to maintain but technology moves on and we get used to it....  We might look back on it like we look back at having unreliable carburettor engined cars and how we now take efi in production cars for granted! Who knows.

• Like 1

To be honest I think the diesel emissions thing is a load of crap and for us who are mid age bracket it won't happen in our life time and if it does who is going to police it..police can't cope with the work load they have now never mind more unless legalisation coming in,unless we have to have our Chippers MOT'T...I've got a new GM150p coming next couple of weeks,nothing to do with petrol v Deisel thing...just like petrol and the 150p will have a 37 HP engine.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dan494 said:

exactly, i just use white diesel from the pump, comes in at right around £3 per transit fill and switching to petrol wont cost me any more

Surely it will cost more as it will burn more fuel being a petrol?

Its c for me, i have a red diesel tank at the yard. I cant have a petrol tank and buy in bulk, there is no saving