Ported chainsaws.

lux

I run several "ported" saws -562's,372,375,385,390and 394 and anything else I use has at least gutted muffler and if avalible bigger air filter. Now why run them ? it comes down to a couple of reasons, at my age I want the lightest and most powerful package I can get and also working with harvester on a regular basis when they are pulling in a tree for me I want it to go as fast as possible to prevent any mishaps , momentum is your friend ! same for winching.

With regard to emissions I would have thought that although it is taking more fuel the air/fuel mix is more efficient if you expand the argument about cutting faster then you are next to the saw for less time ?

As for the reliablity I've not had any unusual problems. Your average Canadian / American "faller" only expects to get a season from a saw then this years becomes the spare and onto the new. I'm getting much mre than that !! 

I have my saws done in the US just as I want them, have tried a few builders and have settled on one for the last few years.

56 minutes ago, Woodworks said:

What are emissions like on ported saws? It's another aspect to safety that I presume porting bypasses. 

I am guessing at worse than when the saw is standard but not as bad as earlier generations of the saw. In my opinion, I wouldn't expect the emissions to be a big safety issue but it is always a personal choice. Bit like chipping your car but on a £600 pound saw, less of a decision than on an £18k hatchback!

22 minutes ago, Woodworks said:

You saying spud and others can achieve more precision in a small workshop than factories with masses of CNC kit?

No disrespect ment to to spud as he can clearly get more oomf from a saw.

It isn't quite like that, manufactures have to ensure the saw produces around 114db or less noise, emissions are getting hit by the American EPA which is a laugh considering the 1950 - 1980s muscle cars they were driving but hey ho, and some of the tolerances manufactures are dictated by in mass production are pushed to more known "racing" standards. I haven't seen any detriment to a saws life as generally the bottom ends are strong and the ported saw runs cooler by clearing the exhaust gasses faster.

Some like to have their kit work better, faster, harder. I have spent most of my life fixing, modifying and getting kit run faster from 1830s long case clocks to £750,000 industrial printers and power presses, it is just how I am made.

Some share a love and kick a fast machine gives them, others worry about lots of things and don't try it.

Guys either like ported kit or it leaves some cold - that is fine by me, I never force anyone to make a decision and in, fact, as I did in my first post on this thread, give the cold hard facts good or bad and let the customer decide. I find most try a friends machine or get one done and from there, they end up like Stubby and have everything done (he isn't on commission but he says as he has found:001_tongue:). I did say forestry guys who get paid by the tonne like ported saws and bingo, you have heard from one - not one of mine but no problem. To them a ported saw gives less body damage and increased productivity - the latter being my goal in my manufacturing days.

So there you go - I am thinking you like a standard saw and porting isn't for you, not a problem and no offence at all from my side.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, spudulike said:

It isn't quite like that, manufactures have to ensure the saw produces around 114db or less noise, emissions are getting hit by the American EPA which is a laugh considering the 1950 - 1980s muscle cars they were driving but hey ho, and some of the tolerances manufactures are dictated by in mass production are pushed to more known "racing" standards. I haven't seen any detriment to a saws life as generally the bottom ends are strong and the ported saw runs cooler by clearing the exhaust gasses faster.

Some like to have their kit work better, faster, harder. I have spent most of my life fixing, modifying and getting kit run faster from 1830s long case clocks to £750,000 industrial printers and power presses, it is just how I am made.

Some share a love and kick a fast machine gives them, others worry about lots of things and don't try it.

Guys either like ported kit or it leaves some cold - that is fine by me, I never force anyone to make a decision and in, fact, as I did in my first post on this thread, give the cold hard facts good or bad and let the customer decide. I find most try a friends machine or get one done and from there, they end up like Stubby and have everything done (he isn't on commission but he says as he has found:001_tongue:). I did say forestry guys who get paid by the tonne like ported saws and bingo, you have heard from one - not one of mine but no problem. To them a ported saw gives less body damage and increased productivity - the latter being my goal in my manufacturing days.

So there you go - I am thinking you like a standard saw and porting isn't for you, not a problem and no offence at all from my side.

Who used to pay you to make their clocks run faster?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Woodworks said:

You saying spud and others can achieve more precision in a small workshop than factories with masses of CNC kit?

No disrespect ment to to spud as he can clearly get more oomf from a saw.

CNC Manufacturing can produce very good consistency  .(I am a time served tool maker in a past life ) However mass production manufacturing tolerances  wont allow for fine tuning . Also modern restrictive emission  clutter can be over come . So yes , I am saying that he can make a better saw out of a production machine . I am not saying Husqvarna , Stihl , Echo etc could not do it , just that the cost would be prohibitive in a production based inviroment .  

Edited by Stubby

Just now, Stubby said:

CNC Manufacturing can produce very good consistency  .(I am a time served tool maker in a past life ) However mass production manufacturing tolerances  wont allow for fine tuning . Also modern restrictive emission  clutter can be over come . So yes , I am saying that he can make a better saw out of a production machine . I am not saying Husqvarna , Stihl , Echo etc could not do it , just that the cost would be prohibitive in a production based inviroment .  

It is probably more about bending the rules a little and leaning more toward some two stroke racing/tuning principles rather than sticking to mainstream manufacturers guidelines than anything else. Sure, they have their own enforced parameters that the two stroke tuners don't.  All saws are different but there are usually some limiting factors that can be removed:thumbup:

• Like 1