Hi-Viz at work.

Ty Korrigan

If I'm in the woods, I'd agree that it's sensible to wear something that stands out - same goes for if on a bike, working on the roads or on building sites etc. I do sort of ponder where a society is going though when common sense seems to be taking a back seat, and the finger-pointing HSE clipboard bearers are at the fore. Hi viz has it's place, but increasingly everywhere you look all and sundry are wearing it and is it really necessary? We have eyes in our heads for a reason

• Like 1

We wear green tees in gardens and hi viz orange tees roadside or on woodland jobs. Sometimes I tell the Groundie's to put one on if visibility is bad for the climber. Putting on a hi viz is a lot less painful than being hit by a lump of tree!

• Like 2

being seen more easily is plus point for arb work and traveling on a road, cant reallly see any arguments against it to be honest.

as for cyclists moaning about driver awareness?!! its kind of hard to be aware of something if you havent seen it,so why not help others to see you.

there are so many different types of hi-vis clothing available for work these days comfort shouldnt be a problem.  

carl

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, matelot said:

how much does a hi vis vest cost? A fiver or something?

It least there was street lighting in this case . There was  nothing in the rural area when I came upon my geezer

Edited by Stubby
  • Like 1

Hailing from what is known as the most cycle friendly country in the world, living in exile in Britain here's my view:

Hi-viz is a passive action. It only reflects when shone on. It is compulsory for cyclist to have both front and rear lights. (It's relatively rare to see cyclist with no lights in NL)
If the law on bike lights was enforced more (big fines for no lights!) It would improve.

Helmets are actually counterproductive for the health of the population as a whole...
Having to wear a helmet is seen as a hindrance, not cool, hassle, etc. This prevents people using bikes more, which in turn leads to the population being less fit, less healthy.

About 20 years ago, the law was changed to further protect vulnerable road users to such an extent that in an rta between a cyclist and a motor vehicle the motor vehicle is at fault. Always.
Critics predicted this would lead to cyclists ignoring the rules of the road, endangering themselves and others (they've a get out of jail free card after all!). This hasn't happened at all.
What has happened is that drivers have become more aware, more courteous, more cautious and more respectful in a calm way.

Bike paths in Britain are shit!
The entire infrastructure is designed for cars, where space is created for bikes, this often stops just before the places where safety would be much improved if cyclist safety was designed in. Bike paths often stops just before roundabouts, traffic lights, etc.

Dutch teenage boys make over 25 times as many bike journeys than their British counterparts.
The difference in girls is much higher still.....

Coming on geezers is perfectly acceptable in the Netherlands, but never whilst riding a bike!

• Like 3