Hutzl ms660 build

MattyF

38 minutes ago, MattyF said:

Quick question I’ve put the crank seals on and now the crank is difficult to turn, I’ve de stressed it and it was fine ... I’m used to huskys but it should move a lot more freely ??

The seals do have an impact on how easy the crank is to turn as they grip the crank a little. I take it you greased the shaft a little before fitting them?

Looks like I will have an apprentice soon, when are you moving back?:scared1:

The seals do have an impact on how easy the crank is to turn as they grip the crank a little. I take it you greased the shaft a little before fitting them?
Looks like I will have an apprentice soon, when are you moving back?:scared1:

No Mate, don’t think I’ve ever put grease on husky ones so it’s a new one too me... I took them back out looks like I’ll have to order another set , you literally could not move the crank .... not sure what I did wrong so I guess it’s back to the u tube videos to find out.. I’ve done a couple with your supervision before so know to get the big copper mallet out to destress it ;) like that 372 I forgot the bolt on!

29 minutes ago, MattyF said:

No Mate, don’t think I’ve ever put grease on husky ones so it’s a new one too me... I took them back out looks like I’ll have to order another set , you literally could not move the crank .... not sure what I did wrong so I guess it’s back to the u tube videos to find out.. I’ve done a couple with your supervision before so know to get the big copper mallet out to destress it ;) like that 372 I forgot the bolt on!

Mmmm, I remember the 372 - what a mess9_9 

You can sometimes bang the seals in too far and the rubber seal pushes too hard on to the inner race. You need to match how they were originally fitted or just take care to set them correctly. The clutch side needs to be flush with the bearing so it doesn't bend the oil pump and cause issues like I said to you. The flywheel side needs to go in a depth where the seal seals on the shaft and outer case and not impinge on the inner race.

You can normally turn the crankshaft with a firm grip on the shaft with thumb and finger - if it is damn tight, the seal is in too far.

I am expecting you to send the box of bits in very shortly - I am now packing for a month in hotter climes:D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

So finished the saw ... idle is high and the saw absolutely screams ... I think I’m gonna have to re do the crank seals again .. clutch side did not seat right but pushed it in with a screw driver thinking it would be ok .. can’t think of any other reason the idle would be so high.

• Like 1