Hutzl ms660 build

MattyF

Just now, MattyF said:

So finished the saw ... idle is high and the saw absolutely screams ... I think I’m gonna have to re do the crank seals again .. clutch side did not seat right but pushed it in with a screw driver thinking it would be ok .. can’t think of any other reason the idle would be so high.

2-stroke novice question... why would that make the saw scream? Sucking air in through the crank seals? Good job for finishing though, how was the quality of the other parts?

Might be worth greasing them on the outside see if it temporarily returns the idle to normal? At least you know if that's see where the issue is.....

I messed about with a 660 hutzl crank case with oem carb and covers recently, saw would only run with idle screw right in. Was a total wind up.....got pretty scared of threading everything. After half a day I just gave it back to the fella ( who had bought it thinking it was all genuine 660 [emoji34]).

Good luck! Let us know how you get on!

Fitting seals is a bit like that, there are methods but I would have to kill you if I divulged them[emoji6]
The clutch one is generally the easier of the two [emoji33]
Which part did you use the screwdriver on, the rubber part? You may have popped the spring off! 

Yes that’s exactly what happened.. is that the symptom of bad crank seals high tick over and even higher revs ? The saw idols and revs ok just high!
There is a guy up the road who was a Forestry commission saw tech and still has the proper tools to fit them ... stupidly I didn’t take him up in his offer ! I’ll be going around in a few days !

Hmmm, that sounds a bit like me making the crankcase splitter and you destroying that 372 hours before I finished it9_9

I am guessing it is the lip on the crankshaft that is an issue, he will have a slightly tapered tube that will allow you to slide the seal over the shaft without it getting turned inside out on it. Just take a couple of beers and get him to do it, now that plan also sounds familiar. If you do fit it, only tap the seal outer edges and make sure the seal goes in as square as is possible as once distorted, it is scrap.

• Like 1

Yep ... they had a sale on as well that seems to have gone! I’m not entirely sure about the saws though , whilst the 660 sounded a beast even though the seals need doing I’m doubtful about the quality .. just does not feel like a stihl.. need to use it a bit first , basically was going to tach it rich and use it on a mill with a 25” bar so it does not get hammered too much.