Experience

Morphmel

Look for a decent sized firm, be honest about your ability, and don’t expect to walk in to top-dollar. You’ll get more real-world experience and will improve as a climber working for a bigger outfit than ending up as a one-man-band’s brash dragger (although I’m sure this post will make me really unpopular on here)! 

Can anyone be a brash dragger, do you need special training or do you just pick it up as you go along ? If you've trained for a thing why do you need to start by doing the menial stuff first ? You want to be a brain surgeon we'll start you off cutting toenails and you can work your way up :/

• Like 1

3 hours ago, peatff said:

Can anyone be a brash dragger, do you need special training or do you just pick it up as you go along ? If you've trained for a thing why do you need to start by doing the menial stuff first ? You want to be a brain surgeon we'll start you off cutting toenails and you can work your way up :/

Ha Ha, Just pick it up as you go along :lol::lol:

It was interesting to watch that series on astronaut training and selection.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b092ng4q

There was a very mixed bunch of candidates, ranging from two women pilots to athletes to a gangly looking geek who had a degree in physics I think.  

you looked at the candidates and you thought that he was the least likely to make it, but he hovered the heliicopter better than the pilots and docked the simulated shuttle perfectly., and he was in the final three and only not chosen because of his close relationship with his family and his young age.

But the main thing that came out of it for me was that it was vital according to the man in charge Chris Hadfield, who had been on the space station himself, that the candidate must be able to interact with the other crew and be a positive, uplifting character that you wanted to be around.

When they sent the first crew up to the space station they were inevitably alpha males, all brilliant at their tasks but they very nearly or probably actually had fist fights on board because of the intensity of working together as alpha males in such a dangerous environment.

Not too dissimilar to arb work where there are a lot of alpha males working in a dangerous environment.

My main point here is that if you can make a good impression on your potential new boss and workforce, that you are someone who people want to be around, then you are half way there.

I always liked this comment on " I have a lot of experience"

"Some people have 1000 different experiences, while others have the same experience a 1000

times!"

The trouble is peatff, most jobs are on piece rate or similar so a job must be completed in x time before money is being lost. Hence hard to get started as a climber as it's quite a learning curve to be quick, safe and competent, obviously dependent on the individual. When I have new climbers in they climb everyday, it may only be for ten minutes or so but those ten minutes and watching a climber add up. It's a balance between letting someone learn and not subsidising their education to the detriment of your business. 

• Like 2

On 16/12/2017 at 12:50, Billhook said:

It was interesting to watch that series on astronaut training and selection.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b092ng4q

There was a very mixed bunch of candidates, ranging from two women pilots to athletes to a gangly looking geek who had a degree in physics I think.  

you looked at the candidates and you thought that he was the least likely to make it, but he hovered the heliicopter better than the pilots and docked the simulated shuttle perfectly., and he was in the final three and only not chosen because of his close relationship with his family and his young age.

But the main thing that came out of it for me was that it was vital according to the man in charge Chris Hadfield, who had been on the space station himself, that the candidate must be able to interact with the other crew and be a positive, uplifting character that you wanted to be around.

When they sent the first crew up to the space station they were inevitably alpha males, all brilliant at their tasks but they very nearly or probably actually had fist fights on board because of the intensity of working together as alpha males in such a dangerous environment.

Not too dissimilar to arb work where there are a lot of alpha males working in a dangerous environment.

My main point here is that if you can make a good impression on your potential new boss and workforce, that you are someone who people want to be around, then you are half way there.

I always liked this comment on " I have a lot of experience"

"Some people have 1000 different experiences, while others have the same experience a 1000

times!"

Some wise words buddy thank you.