How not to cut one-handed?

Mark Wileman

Lots of good methods here, side to side step, slings and my favourite - silky, I also on larger/ heavier branches will do the undercut (gob or straight cut) with the top handle then clip the saw on and use the silky for the top cut, leaving my other hand free to hold the branch as it snaps or hinges down

• Like 2

id tend to silky the ends with foliage on, once you get in a rhythm with it it can be pretty quick, then step cut the larger wood where the step cuts will be a lot more dependable.

id say you just need more time to get the cuts right as it varies with different species and from tree to tree.

carl

• Like 1

Silkys are more dangerous than one handing ! I try not to use the things any more as I seem to get complacent and inevitably get idiot rash .
I still don’t see why step cuts can not be done predictably unless there is extreme weather. I would not cut a branch I could not cut n Chuck with a step cut any thing bigger needs rigging or you end up like this .. c7bc0de68a5f8ea4052fe4eddf83a4fa.jpg
Had to go back up and finish it for him , a proper mess ! Seen it happen so many times , cut and hold done badly isn’t worth the risk.
ed9d862941b0357a1564316d5ba98578.jpg

If it could break something...rig it. We use a hand held/tensioned zip line quite a lot. The more one-handing or cut and hold you do, the more likely you will get cut...you have to make the call.

• Like 1