MS 661 or 395xp

NickinMids

2 hours ago, Stubby said:

At the risk of being boring here is my 2003 ( slightly modded ) 395 , ... again !

Thank you, once again for the opportunity to admire your 395xp with its sugi bar, 2003 is pretty good and I hope she serves you well for a fair few more.

• Like 1

Well since you stand to be be corrected I may as well do that ! :D If you have managed to get the inboard clutch saw, in this case a 395, stuck solid which we all have then the first thing is to remove the inner felling spike which gives you enough room to wriggle the PH out but if that is still not doing the trick then move the saw around  and free the rear bar stud out of the bar groove which should give even the most trapped saw free ! Now if you still have a problem then maybe someone else should have been doing the job but in the 395's case the bar studs are a push fit in through the oil tank and are also held in place by the bar wear plate which is spring steel and has a couple of "wings" which hold against the bar studs, give the end of the stud a sharp tap to push them into the oil tank and now you have it ! 

I have had to do the inner spike job on a out board clutch... just the one time so yes it's quicker but not the end of the world. 

I'm assuming you are saying that after removing the side cover you can not reach the two Allen type bolts ? then move on to steps two and if required 3. Step two is not as easy as it sounds you have to be fairly firm getting the rear stud out and you may slighty burr the stud but power head- stud argument I'd sooner replace a stud !! Step 3 is really a last resort as anyone knows pushing a "stud" back in is not ideal  

I run a 394 which is a fine ported saw,have  run a couple of 395's stock and good saws. I looked / handled a 661 and thought the spring mounts were a little soft but I would assume that like the 441 a "hard" set are avalible ? 

Edited by outinthewood
To answer the OP's question ....

Think it comes down to inboard or outboard clutch really. If you get the Stihl bar stuck in big wood, at least you can take the head off if you have to do something risky with a winch, or leave the job for another day. Can't do that with the 395. (I stand to be corrected if this is wrong?)

Great reason to buy a stihl you can get it out of a tree you have got it stuck in easier 🤣🤣 a 395xp is just a superior saw stihl fans it's a fact [emoji16]