Do you rates go up as much as they should each year..

benedmonds

I was communicating with another member and employer and examining the wages I pay,  They suggested:  

The problem is, we’re all just left charging the same as we did 10 years ago, whilst people expect to earn about £5000 more.

Got me thinking... Has the day rate I charge and the rate I pay my staff increased inline with inflation... 

In my case the rates I pay staff have increased inline if not slightly above. But the rates I charge are  4 or 5% lower then they should be.

For those of us who have been doing this a long time put you 2007 day rate into the UK Inflation Calculator

http://www.in2013dollars.com/2007-GBP-in-2017?amount=100

• Like 2

That doesn't seem like a big enough increase to me.

Surely six years of compounded inflation should be more than 14.83%

My day rate has gone up a lot more than that in this period and  plenty of customers are fine with it.

day rates havent gone up for years....climbers pay hasn't gone up much either...groundies pay has gone up dramatically over the years. I started of with a local firm on £30 a day in 1994...our groundies are on £80 to £100 a day depending on experience these days...more if they bring a bit more to the party. Upping dayrates to give well deserved pay rises can cause a rapid drop in the number of jobs won...and less work...thats the way it rolls

To be fair £30 could get you a lot more in 1994 than £56 can get you now... inflation is a odd game as different markets are affected differently (consider food prices increasing vs rent vs fuel ). Obviously I have no numbers to back this up, but inflation can't really cover all bases.

4 minutes ago, wiley said:

Also I was 5 in 1994, so I'm assuming it wouldn't get you much, £54 certainly doesn't go far these days!

I was 25 in 1994, IMO, the big difference is expectation. We did not expect the luxuries people today feel are their right.

• Like 5