Do you rates go up as much as they should each year..

benedmonds

1 minute ago, benedmonds said:

I was a student in 1994,  as I recall I had about £3,400 a year grant plus whatever from holiday jobs that went on travel... It paid for food, room and beer.. I don't think we needed or expected anything else... 

You had BEER!!!.

I recall shopping with my Mrs, we had £25 per week for our weekly shop, at Xmas we had £50!!! we were like kids in a sweet shop, I got a 4pack of Quicksave own brand bitter, I was like a pig in s**t :laugh1:

7 minutes ago, skyhuck said:

You had BEER!!!.

I recall shopping with my Mrs, we had £25 per week for our weekly shop, at Xmas we had £50!!! we were like kids in a sweet shop, I got a 4pack of Quicksave own brand bitter, I was like a pig in s**t :laugh1:

I see what you mean, and you are right, we do expect more these days. I was on £70 a week as an apprentice carpenter and I managed to fund food, fuel and some lodging money to my parents. I'm on 7 times that now and still manage to get through it just as fast O.o

The only thing that has really gone up is house prices, that’s the big difference.

Rates are similar to 20odd years ago, the actual cost of living (food etc) isn’t that much higher. 

Houses have  nearly tripled in value.

I don’t really go for all this ‘back in my day we weren’t entitled greedy sods’ narrative.

I remember when I first started as a goundie on £30 a day self-employed, I ran a 2cv6 to get to work. I remember the lads stopping at the butty van on the way to site. I genuinely could not afford a bacon bap. I'd have £3 and that was my petrol money for the car for a week. I'd take my saw home full (gaffers fuel) so I could cut fire wood in the evening.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Mick Dempsey said:

The only thing that has really gone up is house prices, that’s the big difference.

Not in the last 10 years.. Unless you live in the SE.  We all think houses have gone up loads, but another handy calculator shows that after taking into account inflation 50% have not. Mine hasn't... 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-41582755

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, benedmonds said:

Not in the last 10 years.. Unless you live in the SE.  We all think houses have gone up loads, but another handy calculator shows that after taking into account inflation 50% have not. Mine hasn't... 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-41582755

I was referring to the last 20 years.

And yes, I lived in the south east.

Edited by Mick Dempsey