Petzl Sequioa Harness

Backpain

Hi Guys, just wondered what peoples opinions are of the new Petzl Sequioa Harness.

I got mine and thought it was really cheap and flimsy looking! Bit upset and £220 out of pocket. Couple of little annpying things like the little tabs near the side loops that get in the way when your clipping your strop in. Also think the buckles are really cheap and plastic.  Dead light and not not really what I expected for the price. Always used Skylotecs before.

Also bought a Stein Acuda rope with a ziggzagg. Thats crap too. Use Tachyon previously but this stuff squashes into an oval when it goes through the zig.

Anyone else sailing in the same boat or wants to buy my climbing kit?

Cheers

I bought a Petzel AVAO  after yrs of Komet Butterflys ,  initially thought it flimsy but way more comfortable than these hulking great harnesses , plus it has no snap fasteners for sudden failure like most snap buckle harnesses seem to have .- stopped buying Komets as mine fell to bits aftr 2 yrs - nothing like they were originally ! K

On 9/30/2017 at 23:24, Backpain said:

Hi Guys, just wondered what peoples opinions are of the new Petzl Sequioa Harness.

I got mine and thought it was really cheap and flimsy looking! Bit upset and £220 out of pocket. Couple of little annpying things like the little tabs near the side loops that get in the way when your clipping your strop in. Also think the buckles are really cheap and plastic.  Dead light and not not really what I expected for the price. Always used Skylotecs before.

Also bought a Stein Acuda rope with a ziggzagg. Thats crap too. Use Tachyon previously but this stuff squashes into an oval when it goes through the zig.

Anyone else sailing in the same boat or wants to buy my climbing kit?

Cheers

I never had any issues with the build quality on mine and found it generally very comfortable.  I would have replaced it with like for like but I just fancied a change

I see a fair few different types of harness doing LOLER work. The plastic buckles on the sequoia let it down imo. It’s surprisingly easy to twist them apart even when they are quite new. The build quality of the buckles is poor compared to the competition although the likelihood of this happening when you’re in the tree is remote.

Everything on the sequoia is great and everyone who has them speaks really highly of their comfort and functionality (apart from the buckles that is). The bridge is another thing to watch out for on them. Once they start to get frayed the outer cover disintegrates very quickly.
I very nearly got one but defaulted back to the TM.

• Like 1

I see a fair few different types of harness doing LOLER work. The plastic buckles on the sequoia let it down imo. It’s surprisingly easy to twist them apart even when they are quite new. The build quality of the buckles is poor compared to the competition although the likelihood of this happening when you’re in the tree is remote.

I agree that Timon, I have inspected many Sequoia’s, over the years both old and new and the buckles are poor! Also I always seem to catch my fingers in them while testing!

Petzl seem to like using plastic, but good to see they have stopped using them on their karabiners! Though I still see a few about in use.

Martyn
  • Like 1