4x4 pickup tippers - which have best capacity

wjotner

3 minutes ago, woody paul said:

As I use a Land Rover 130 for tree work I have no trouble with road handling when full or empty, it all depends on how you set suspension up. 

Agree, 110 highcap plus Ifor for Chip/Wood

Can I ask why you want to sell a transit tipper for a 4x4 tipper? Do you find you are offroad the majority of your work time? I have 4x4 pickups and transit tippers and for everyday tree work the transit wins hands down. The pickup is the easier to use tow vehicle and with BFG mud terrains it can get most places - but if you filled it with chip and put a chipper behind it you are going to be making a mess of the site you are working on. I'd suggest a single cab standard pickup to run alongside a transit tipper would be the way forward.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, richy_B said:

Can I ask why you want to sell a transit tipper for a 4x4 tipper? Do you find you are offroad the majority of your work time? I have 4x4 pickups and transit tippers and for everyday tree work the transit wins hands down. The pickup is the easier to use tow vehicle and with BFG mud terrains it can get most places - but if you filled it with chip and put a chipper behind it you are going to be making a mess of the site you are working on. I'd suggest a single cab standard pickup to run alongside a transit tipper would be the way forward.

This is good advice. I run this setup (although my pickup is a double cab) along with an Ifor trailer for backup.

I did a 150 mile round journey in our landy 130 with a cherry picker on recently and wanted to pull over and shoot myself starting the trip home... made me realise why I hate land rovers so much , cramped, noisy ,rattled to bits and all over the place driving I'd rather drive my 13 year old l200 tipper although l200 seats are crippling for your back.. any 4x4 that puts your knees above your spine is but atleast you can move your arms and don't get claustrophobic and white finger holding the steering wheel in one. 

• Like 1

Cheers guys. All valid points. 

To be honest, i should really stick with a transit as i usually dont use a chipper (just brash down on back with chainsaw, so the capacity needs to be pretty big) as i don't have enough money or regular work to pay for a chipper just yet. But my transit is old, and in order to use with a chipper (which i need to do to grow my business) i need to get a decent chip box on it. Trouble is, every quote i get for building a chip box is higher than the value of the truck. 

So if i'm going to spend money on a van, then I'd rather it be one i think I'm gonna get a few years of use out of and won't depreciate as much in value. Plus i can't really afford to keep running my van and my car. If i get a pickup tipper, then i can use as a car and sell my 2 other vehicles.

But am I mad to use a smaller van?

You will never get a vehicle that suits every job and the growth of your business.

If it was me I would get a vehicle that suits you now and then when you build up with work change or upgrade to suit.

Two vehicles is a nice set up and covers most jobs but it's getting to a position where you can justify running two. 

Hope that helps.

Jim