student quality

oldboyarborist

I have been in the industry for 36 years and have just completed my first year teaching arb both practically and academically.

How do any of you contractors feel about the quality of the students that are coming into the industry? Do you feel there is an issue with their work ethic? Do you think they are prepared enough for the workplace?

What about you young guys/girls who have just completed an NC/ND, how relevant was your time at college to actually working in industry?

If you have issues, what would you like to see changed??

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The very basics are covered in both the NC and ND for safety and legislation with Tree I.D and various other Arb based topics , i have been taught to climb to a safe and reasonable standard in a 'controlled environment' as well as issued with my basic tickets at a very discounted price meaning i cost very little to my prospective employer when leaving college in both time and money.

I found the 'real' learning came in my second year work placement when i climbed day in day out with the seasoned pro's ,i was lucky to be in a well established reasonably large firm with helpful and keen employees who taught me loads extra 'because there climbing days where comin to an end and it was our turn ' Great guys.

What makes me laugh is the fact that most students i encountered have never even seen a chipper let alone used one and just like the idea of the job.

I myself spent 18months draggin the brush until i decided i wanted to "learn the trade properly" , all these fresh faced 16-19yr olds who will be earning 500 a week when they leave college and be dismantling the biggest trees in the country with ease, when they go on to work experience they soon leave , too hard for too little money they cry , theyre taking the piss !, a waste of time for the college you may think ? well actually no because bums on seats makes the college money so theyll accept the weariest most unsuitable candidates knowing they will be highly unlikely to gain employment within this industry, when i have approached lecturers about this they say its equal rights and they cant discrimiate even if the candidate is lethal with a saw or scared of heights ! yes ive seen all this at my time in college. Maybe it should be compulsory for students to have at least 12 months industry experience with proof before they are allowed on an academic course ? that statement itself opens up a whole new debate..................

Huge issue !

Welcome to ArbTalk. Generally speaking I think the teaching is of a very high standard. The problem is expectations. Younger students seem to think they will walk out of college and be swinging around trees as a competent climber straight away or come out thinking they'll go start their own business.

Obviously this is a generalization and thankfully there are exceptions to the rule BUT when youngsters can earn more money sat on their bums in Tesco's texting their mates on alot more money than they will earn in arb initially that becomes a rosy option.

Youngsters do not have the work ethic of older employees in the most part. The best Arb trainees I have seen have been ex-Forces personnel who have a strong work ethic. The camaraderie of tree work also appeals to them and they fit in quick.

I don't think colleges are the problem, I think the system is the problem and society as a whole which has bred a playstation generation.

Huge issue !

Welcome to ArbTalk. Generally speaking I think the teaching is of a very high standard. The problem is expectations. Younger students seem to think they will walk out of college and be swinging around trees as a competent climber straight away or come out thinking they'll go start their own business.

Obviously this is a generalization and thankfully there are exceptions to the rule BUT when youngsters can earn more money sat on their bums in Tesco's texting their mates on alot more money than they will earn in arb initially that becomes a rosy option.

Youngsters do not have the work ethic of older employees in the most part. The best Arb trainees I have seen have been ex-Forces personnel who have a strong work ethic. The camaraderie of tree work also appeals to them and they fit in quick.

I don't think colleges are the problem, I think the system is the problem and society as a whole which has bred a playstation generation.

Hit the nail on the head Matt.

I feel the young straight out of collage will find it very hard when they enter the workforce they are not repaired for the reality of the psychical work involved itself .

The work is hard , you Sweet blood and tears to do it you also need to be fit and determined and really really want to do it .you have to be repaired to get dirty wet work in the poring rain and when its hot and when its cold you have to keep going hour after hour with a smile on your face .

Many of the young straight out of collage entering the work force sadly will give up within a short time when they realize whats involved .

Littletree

Huge issue !

as a student who has been in the industry for nearly three years, and just over halfway through my ND i think you have hit the nail on the head there Matt.

all i can add to that is that you get out as much as you put in, and anyone can just achieve a pass in college by just coasting and caring about their career, but if you put more in and try harder and do the merit and distinction tasks i think you will come out with quite a good understanding of arboriculture :001_smile: