Throwline tangle problems

Zenclimbing

Hi guys.. I'm new to arb talk and recently qualified climber.. I am having some problems with my stein throwline 2.2mm.. I'm using a stein cube. I've spent hours untangling the line and feeding it nicely into the cube.. When using my big shot it suddenly all tangles and will prevent the bag going any higher.. Now I've realised even trying to pull it out it just makes loads of tiny twists in the line and develops so many tangles.. I'm sure it shouldn't be so hard.. Please help

You will need plenty of Zen when it comes to throwlining.

I use Zing It it's the only line I am comfortable with, but I hate buying a new one as it takes months of throwing to truly bed it in, hence I keep 3 throwline kits on the go.

You can speed up the bedding in process by hanging it over night with added weights to help stretch it out, even soaking it in warm water can help if it's a waxy line.

Paying it off the reel is important to start with, you need to unroll it like toilet roll if you just coil it off it will hockle.

Then it's just patience, personally I know it's not everyone's cup of tea but I'd learn to hand throw leaving the big shot for special occasions like firing conkers at squirrels.

Like Marc says. Stretching it really helps. I tie one end round a tree walk the reel out and tie the other end to a stick and stretch it, spending some time doing this will help. There should be a loop in the cube to tie the tail end of the line to as well which should help a bit as well.

It's horrible when the tangle fairy strikes! [emoji37][emoji35][emoji36]

Timon.

Bedding in ... tie one end to a gate and walk it out and tie the other to a large stick and hang on it with your weight for a few mins, also you could try keeping it under tension and run it over a clean log/wooden gate also gets kinks out, I do both when using stuff off the reel and it's definitely worth spending half hour doing this.

Also keeping the bags secure in transit will prevent tangles, I know some folk who take them off and tie the ends down to the bag.. tbh I just try not throw the cube around once folded kind of treat it like a iced cake in a box ! Others have said fold in to a square and not the full triangle helps .. in not convinced again I think throwing it around especially with loose bags will cause the mother of all tangles!

Also I know folk who religiously whilst feeding line back in to the cube will play it in to each corner clockwise say it helps, I just hoy the stuff in the cube myself!

One thing I try and do if I do use a big shot is pull the line out the cube and play it back in checking for tangles before firing to prevent knots if there are any getting tighter under the power of the big shot and also it is bloody painful if you have the line in your left hand ready to grab the bag to stop it reaching the moon once over the target and your fingers get caught in a knot as I'm sure you have found out!

i'm a 'hoyer' like Matty also.

All the above is good advice, but the brand of line also plays a part. Not sure I have used the Stein line though so can't really comment. I have had some truly horrific lines in the past though that tangled as soon as you looked at them...others have been awesome

The thing with any throwline is to use it before you use it if you get me.

You need to get rid of the memory from the reel. Stretch it, hoy it about a field, pull it over branches etc.

This will improve things no end.

You will still get the occasional tanglebastard from hell, but that's life.

You are jumping right into a world of hell playing with a big shot, you need to serve your time and get into the woods and practice by hand.

I've never used a big shot and don't plan too.

Anything that high I wouldn't trust from the ground.

Throw lining is great practice for spikes for rageing retrieval!