small firm with no full time staff

simonm

around here subbies are in short supply, there are firms which can swallow as many subbies as they can.

If you don't have staff owned there not there when you need them

I have guys ticking over at the moment so there there when I'm busy

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I find cutting and then having to clear up behind myself quite soul destroying these days. On very very small jobs perhaps I can about manage

This is the worst part about working on my own for me(landscaping and firewood). It's knowing that every single part of the job has to be done by me- every barrow of stuff, every cut, shovel, tying down, gate opening and closing!

If I don't do it it's not happening, end of story.

The benefits are obvious, no stressing that some one is costing you money by not getting things done at the speed you would expect, no one moaning about this or that, no worries about being able to pay someone on exactly a Friday regardless of the jobs payment schedule.

I find cutting and then having to clear up behind myself quite soul destroying these days. On very very small jobs perhaps I can about manage

This is the worst part about working on my own for me(landscaping and firewood). It's knowing that every single part of the job has to be done by me- every barrow of stuff, every cut, shovel, tying down, gate opening and closing!

If I don't do it it's not happening, end of story.

The benefits are obvious, no stressing that some one is costing you money by not getting things done at the speed you would expect, no one moaning about this or that, no worries about being able to pay someone on exactly a Friday regardless of the jobs payment schedule.

This! i'll take physical stress over mental stress any day. When I think i'm pushing myself too far I simply offload a few jobs to someone else, a lot easier than offloading a head full of stress.

I work me plus one, we occasionally wind each their up working together all the time but that's life. Two seems to cover most stuff and I'm lucky enough to have a good set of subbies and we try and book work two to three weeks in advance so booking them for a day seems to work.

Had plenty of no shows and wannabes who couldn't rig a decent practical joke despite claims to the contrary.

I think on your own in arb is a bit masochistic, however the right second man/woman and good subbies are like rocking horse poop. So to those who work with me and are reading this, thanks lads without you I'd be stuck or driving lorries.

Second week on my own now and its being good, got subbies in on a few jobs then steady away on my own, no waiting for folk or telling them what to do. Get there get stuck in & go home earlier without worrying about working longer to pay wages.

Second week on my own now and its being good, got subbies in on a few jobs then steady away on my own, no waiting for folk or telling them what to do. Get there get stuck in & go home earlier without worrying about working longer to pay wages.

:thumbup1: