Reducing fume inhalation and other toxics at work.

Matthew Storrs

Iv literally just ordered a draper twin filter mask of amazon. It gets good reviews and not bad at £26.99.

I did think about full face mask but have ordered goggles seperatly so I don't always have to wear them.

Been cutting a few telegraph poles up today and no proper mask until customer lent me one. Will always keep on in truck now for these kind of occasions.

It's so easy not to bother with mask when you know you should be wearing one.

I'll follow his thread with interest.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's hard not to get too neurotic about the whole thing but at the same time want to avoid where possible.

It doesn't just stop at fumes- wood dust, bonfire smoke, chain oil mist. Yeah i don't think our job is healthy in the slightest!

The main thing is the air in general is better than it was 20 years ago apart from in cities adjacent to roads.

Also most tractors are enclosed now and as long as windows are shut and the cab filter in good condition you are better off than when I drove Counties with no glass.

The main things that can have a long term effect will be black carbon particulates in the PM4 and below

Silica dusts (including asbestos fibres)

Bioaerosols including fungal spores endotoxins from bacteria when disturbing old vegetation , chip heaps etc.

Some hardwood dusts are also carcinogens.

It is important that any face masks are able to filter out these respirable sizes, simple dust masks are unlikely to be adequate.

I have occasionally given thought to this subject .... especially dust when working with some species , especially dead monterey cypress used to make itself felt when working it , cutting and chipping , I also know that Western red cedar is particularly toxic if you are working in a sawmill , never had problems with Yew , Laburnum etc that some consider to be very toxic , exhaust fumes can be horrible at times on hot windless days in sheltered corners of gardens , but most of the time whilst climbing no probs whatsoever , just think what work makes your air filters clog up fastest ,and if your nose needs picking !! Saws and a lot of gear used to run 25-1 on leaded fuel !!! but nowadays I think the worst thing for dust is the Blower ......I do a lot of turning and woodwork in my shed and always wear a TREND air filtered helmet system especially when sanding , but could not wear it doing tree work .... Also my main hobby is Freediving / Spearfishing so I do like to look after my lungs !!!

I use Aspen fuel and veg bar oil whenever possible.

Conscious of the very obvious difference in how I feel at the end of the day when I have to used SP98 and mineral oil.

The skin on my face too suffers from issues related not only to the sun and plant sap but also to the use of mineral bar oils.

Ty

Hi Matthew,

Aspen began producing fuels which were designed especially for this reason in 1988 and has been the market leader in fuels for small engine machinery ever since.

Have a read on arbtalk about peoples feedback on the product. The majority of people who switch over to Aspen fuel for their machines would never go back to regular 2-stroke mix after giving it a try.

I suggest you pop into your nearest dealer and give it a try or give us a call if you require any more information.

Aspen Fuel :: Stockists

regards

Axel

I run a stihl battery saw a lot now, moved over to motomix as well for petrol saws. Makes a massive difference when milling an 880 all day.

Got to get a respirator though, masks just don't work enough.

Use bio oil too. The usual stuff is highly carcinogenic according to stihl. [emoji107]

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

I run Aspen in my saws because of its shelf life but really notice when I use my mates saw running 2 stroke. I'd rather pop home to pick one of mine up than breathe the fumes.

One of the things I learned when talking to the Aspen guys earlier this year was that they do a version of diesel as well. It was a bit pricey but I was kicking myself for not getting some to try after spending a couple of hours on my little tractor breathing in the exhaust. I'm sure Axel can provide the details and there might be some arb applications that could stand the extra cost.

Hi Matthew,

Aspen began producing fuels which were designed especially for this reason in 1988 and has been the market leader in fuels for small engine machinery ever since.

Have a read on arbtalk about peoples feedback on the product. The majority of people who switch over to Aspen fuel for their machines would never go back to regular 2-stroke mix after giving it a try.

I suggest you pop into your nearest dealer and give it a try or give us a call if you require any more information.

Aspen Fuel :: Stockists

regards

Axel

Can you get it in Australia do you know?

Im currently working in Amsterdam and here in Netherlands any business is required by law to use aspen. I believe private users can still use 2 stroke.