Old 2 stoke mix is it so bad?

Woodworks

You could also replace all the pipes after a spell of none use…………….but this, like Aspen would be unnecessary and expensive, IMO :biggrin:

You could also by a new saw every time you want to use one . Also unnecessary and expensive . IMO :001_smile:

I meant while stored, I don't think breathers are constantly open?

There is nothing in a breather to close it off so it is constantly open to allow for the expansion when it heats up and the air to enter when fuel is used.

which is entirely not the point of the thread...

What is the point of the thread ? Some people get lucky and don't have problems with leaving standing fuel and some are unlucky and need carb repairs. It would be wise to put some fuel stabiliser in if left for months, How many saws do you see on sites like Gumtree with "it worked when I put it away but it won't start now" or "was running fine but now won't tick over" ? I know I've seen lots.

I thought breathers had vents in them to only allow movement in but maybe there's different types. The only time I've had a perished pipe was on a new saw that has sat empty in the shop for a while so I lean towards leaving saws full but to be honest I just leave them where I finished.

What's the best price on aspen? It seems very overpriced for every day use. A quick look says £18 for 5L as opposed to about £6 for mixing my own. Even if anyone did have issues you could buy a lot of saw parts with that £12 change each time. :-)

• 6 months later...

Just to comment, picked up the Stihl 390, that has been buried and forgotten about at the back of the shed for probably at least 3 years.

Topped off the already 3/4 full fuel tank, with a fuel mix a min of 6 months old.

Saw fired up on the 3rd or 4th pull and ran and cut perfectly.

Fuel was mixed with Stihl red oil.

nuff said.

Just now, difflock said:

Just to comment, picked up the Stihl 390, that has been buried and forgotten about at the back of the shed for probably at least 3 years.

Topped off the already 3/4 full fuel tank, with a fuel mix a min of 6 months old.

Saw fired up on the 3rd or 4th pull and ran and cut perfectly.

Fuel was mixed with Stihl red oil.

nuff said.

Damn good advice, when people take you up on it, they can give me a call and I will rebuild the top end for them - will keep me in business:001_rolleyes:

I don't know how much you cut, the size of the wood, the length of time the saw was under full load, the bar length, the tune of the saw, how rich in oil the initial fuel was, what your fuel is......I use old fuel in my lawnmower! Your choice though.