Humboldt Cut Spruce Trunk

scotspine1

Cheers folks.

That in Balfron Tim?

It's a really nice cut if you want to get things to jump of the stump. I've used it a lot. I think the extra cut below the gub technically makes that a Swanson that you've used. Difficult to get cuts to match when you first start using a Humbolt or Swanson when you're used to a conventional cut.

Yeah Balfron Wallis. Dunmore St/Banker's Brae area. I agree it's a Humboldt turned into a Swanson. Yeah, not an easy cut to make near ground level. Much easier above that fence though. See pic below for Humboldt/Swanson. Cheers.

Nice cutting Tim, however not my choice of cut. I have seen & experienced issues with the humbolt whilst felling stems. The stem can stall if the opening is not obtuse enough or if the face cuts meet with insufficient speed & I have seen them stop or veer to one side if weighted that way.

I use the humbolt frequently, but for this application, I would go conventional, with a snipe on the bottom cut.

Hear what you're saying Pete. I wanted to do as many things as I could to make sure the butt landed away from the stump/fence/garage. The undermining of the centre of gravity or as near as, the small hinge, the Humboldt/Swanson to make sure the butt landed away from the stump and nowhere near the fence. The pull line. The log crash matt.

Slowed the vid down here to show how the butt end slides down and away from the stump. I've found the conventional cut wont throw the tree as far as a Humboldt unless you're chasing the back cut through the hinge. All these things depend on so many variables/experience it's difficult to pin down a right way, in this situation I also didn't want to be near the trunk as it came over to I set it up the best I could to throw it off the stump from the pull line.

Notice how the tree only starts rotating when it hits the logs -

[ame=

]
[/ame]

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I totally disagree Tim.

A Humboldt isn't a cut I'd use to jump a log of the stump at all..

It's a timber preserving cut used by men with grey slip on shoes, and me up a pole to slide sections off smoothly, but it's not a fence jumper.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

How would you do it out of interest?

Deep narrow gob and pull line.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

Think I'd prefer the Humbolt, with a good scarf each side of the hinge. The downward slope of the gob does a better job of pushing the stick off the stump, but only my opinion, and would depend on the exact situation. In general I think things jump from the stump much better with a Humbolt cut.

Nicely illustrated Tim.

Here is a similar one from the back end of last year. Albeit a horse chestnut and shorter but I had the same issues. Conventional face, reasonably narrow but with the snipe cut into it.

We felled it high as it was staying high (for some unknown reason). the last thing I wanted was for the tip to hit first and then but roll back sideways into the rose arch. I also wanted it to land flat as there was a nicely paved path and border under the tyres and ply.

Worked a treat.

I suppose it is half way between yours and Marks method.

Whilst I am familiar with the humboldt cut and have used for felling and climbing cuts I have never used the snipe....does it simply stop the stem from falling sideways as it helps to direct a little more than the gob cut so you get a more accurate outcome?

Whilst I am familiar with the humboldt cut and have used for felling and climbing cuts I have never used the snipe....does it simply stop the stem from falling sideways as it helps to direct a little more than the gob cut so you get a more accurate outcome?

I find it allows the stem to leave the stump cleaner. It also gives is a bit or forward momentum.