Arb rates vs forestry...

onesprucetoomany

Must admit most of the lads i know aren't admitting to making quite wot ur's are (doesn't mean they're not thou :sneaky2:) spuddog, but they are in that general ball park.

Really good money, but long hours.

But even if u get ur tickets and a job u will start of in an old scrapper machine with a lot of breakdowns, if ur not mechancially minded it can be very hard to make money intially, until u get onto better machines/jobs.

1 mate an ex cutter, went on to forwarder and then harvester but ended up bck on forwarder as he struggled to make money driving an older harvester whereas he was on a decent forwarder and generally less to go wrong/maintain.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Think I am continuing the broken record theme here, there is good money in arb if however you have experience and have a decent set of climbing kit and a few saws.

As has been said have a good nose around google for tree teams or larger contractors operating in your area and give them a call or email and try and get a few days as a labourer to try it out. As even if you are good at it and pick it up quick so start earning well if it turns out you hate the work then what's the point.

I cannot comment even slightly on forestry as the only thing we do of that nature is small scale site clearance or privately opened woodland thinning/maintenance, nice to be in the woods and often with plenty of space to drop trees into.

My wife started out on £17k a year at B&M bargains....

If you have the right attitude and find that the work suits you ie you pick it up fast then there is no reason (Local area and types of company operating) that you can't earn £23k very early on.

Although it takes a bit of luck to find that position.

How can that possibly be considered "successfull"?

I guess the fact that many feel it is tells the OP a lot about his potential earnings:001_huh:

We earn a heck of a lot less in scotland than you guys down south.The successful business thing is relative,its a 3 man crew,hes busy most days and keeps 1 full time member of staff and a seasonal chipper monkey.

If he was too average out his earnings over a year i doubt he would be getting 23 grand wages.

I base success of how busy you are not earnings but i would think others would base it on purley finincial gain.

We earn a heck of a lot less in scotland than you guys down south.The successful business thing is relative,its a 3 man crew,hes busy most days and keeps 1 full time member of staff and a seasonal chipper monkey.

If he was too average out his earnings over a year i doubt he would be getting 23 grand wages.

I base success of how busy you are not earnings but i would think others would base it on purley finincial gain.

Anyone can be a busy fool though. It's easy to fill your diary when you're much cheaper than everyone else.

Why bother though? I was on significantly more than that as a PAYE team leader. My only overhead was my car.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Arbtalk mobile app

Anyone can be a busy fool though. It's easy to fill your diary when you're much cheaper than everyone else.

Why bother though? I was on significantly more than that as a PAYE team leader. My only overhead was my car.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Arbtalk mobile app

Talk of a Subbie.

Hope it's going well Kid.