how do you know ?

timtree81

at what point do you know if you are in a position to

tell a client to naff off when he askes you to do the work

to his speck ,as in not the right way ? taking into account he has

lots of trees ,ground ,money ,and friends in the same position ?

when they say

you dont do it like that you do it like this...

dont tell him to naff off tell him to carry on and see how good of a job he does:001_tongue:

I would NEVER tell a client to "naff off"

I will pretty much do whatever the client wants, if it not good for the trees I will explain this, but if the still insist its going to be done whether I do it or not, I will pretty much do it.

The only job I can recall turning down was a Beech, it was not the clients tree but their neighbours, they had asked for more light. The neighbour had had the tree reduced, my customer now wanted me to cut it back to the boundary. I explained that I felt the tree owner had been more than fair and that I felt cutting it back too the boundary would ruin the tree and punish the owner after they had behaved so well.

I am pleased to say I was back in that area a few weeks back and the tree had not been cut back to boundary and its at least 5 years since I was asked to do it, so they had obviously taken on board my comments.

Politely tell him to naff off when youve got plenty of work to fall back on, otherwise forget the moral high ground & take the money and run ..unless the world and his dog is gonna see the truly shocking results of your handywork and your reputation would be in ruins... as for his chums, thats a non starter.... Just cause people are loaded doesnt meant they like to part with their cash

You only tell him that after you have given him my number!!!!:thumbup:

with the huck on this one.

all you can do is advise, what annoys me is the ones who ask the advice then get someone else to do it!!!!

Same as skyhuck, (we do agree every now and then!:001_tt2:) advise but if they insist then do it and take the money, if you dont and tell him to "naff off" he will spread the bad word about you and get someone else in to do it anyway.

Never.

I usually preface tese things with "I don't want to talk myself out of a job but..." and then go on to explain what I think. I charge a professional rate and so I think I would be doing the client a dis-service if I didn't explain things properly.

If they still want things done their way, then I will oblige them.:001_smile: