How are the veggies coming along?

Mick Dempsey

First harvest of a new potato variety for us. Manitou. Good yield, very good flavour and texture. They seem to have been more reliable, less adversely effected by this year's challenging climate than lots of other fruit and vegetables.

IMG-20220820-WA0005.thumb.jpg.f11fe6bc9959fa39e17c8d9afc1e7dd5.jpg

• Like 3

What sunny Sunday mornings are made for. 
Drying the onions in the sun before getting them ready for overwintering.
White onions are cheap as chips here, red ones are eye wateringly expensive.

Another box of tomatoes, I am going to roast these then freeze them for future use, the next lot will be made into fiery hot Salsa Rojo, I have Tomatillos nearly ready for Salsa Verde.

I decided to lift the sweet potatoes, it’s the first time that I have grown them and I am happy with the yield from 4 plants, I will plant 12 next year, they will keep for 4-6 months.

The butternut squash, crown prince and potti marron are looking good, as are the last of the Charente melon.

Making space now for Winter greens.

B330A4F1-33BB-4706-BAD9-EBDE814FE535.jpeg

88D6B6CF-7176-4DD6-A23B-45B364C19EAA.jpeg

AC32D3A2-5DBA-4F84-A484-7DDD6E42E54D.jpeg

ABE108E5-94DB-4620-95EE-210F134DED52.jpeg

7EDB19B4-3B29-4FEA-813F-C9416019A66F.jpeg

94A89F93-0527-42B2-8142-B84916D0DB10.jpeg

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Picked the first couple of sweetcorn as a trial this afternoon. Well pleased with the result. Better than any I've ever , can't get much fresher.  There's plenty more on the plants to harvest too. I'm pleasantly surprised given the lack of rainfall this year. I did water them a few times but I put most of the success down to the thick layer of manure that i put put down on the ground around them. IMG-20220906-WA0019.thumb.jpg.d607ba984f310bbcd2ad989076668da1.jpg

• Like 1