Newbie with some questions

Stevie777

Stevie,

No point trying to stop you is there?

Small practcal point then. After you have done any work on the saw, reassemble but leave the chain off. Last thing you want is for the saw to be revving its nuts off, chain flailing round while you try and figure out why the ignition kill doesnt work.

Come to think of it, how about taking the chain off first thing, before you do any work on it. Start the saw and get used to the feel of it, get used to the controls etc.

bmp01

No. No point but i'll take everything on board. First thing when i get the saw is strip it down and look for flaws and worn parts. It is what it is, A very old saw so i'll be all over it making sure everything is as it should be before i do anything..First things first..A wee bit if training. I know the saw has safety issues compared with todays saws, but used correctly and with the proper ppe i should be ok.

Ps, I was looking at those AV gloves, they kinda look a bit on the bulky side. I would prefer to wear something that gives me a good firm grip as i'll probably only be cutting for 20 mins or so. I have several pairs of heavy leather gloves including a pair of motorcycle gauntlets that might just do the business. The trousers and face protection i wont scrimp on.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your reluctance to consider using a braked saw is 'admirable'.

The image of said saw being used via motorcycle gauntlets is thought provoking.

I have chucked in my views on the safety (yours) issue. I will not waste any more of my life on this thread. Just be bloody careful, we have all been trying to help but I give up.

Your reluctance to consider using a braked saw is 'admirable'.

The image of said saw being used via motorcycle gauntlets is thought provoking.

I have chucked in my views on the safety (yours) issue. I will not waste any more of my life on this thread. Just be bloody careful, we have all been trying to help but I give up.

The only reason i mentioned motorcycle gantlets is that they run partway up my arm affording me greater protection, If i try them and they dont feel right i wont wear them. I'll Buy other gloves.

I will be careful.

Edited by Stevie777

Could you explain to me why a chainsaw with a chainbrake wont kick back. I know how they work. Well i know when you push the brake forward it stops the chain but how does it work with kickback.

I need to know these things and aint afraid to look like a plum asking the questions either.

I'm all for people having a go at things, but I can also see that people on Arbtalk might be reluctant to try and explain to you all the things about the dangers of chainsaws that you would be best learning in some structured form of training. I think LANTRA does a course which is the same as for the CS30/31 ticket course but without the assessment and is pretty affordable. I did my chainsaw training with Chris Simpson, and he explained things in a way that are helpful tyo this day even after I have been on the saws for 9 years.

And generally, if you do a course you will have to note all the safety features on a saw. I can see that your new purchase is muissing at least a few. Chainbrake obviously but possibly no or inadequate anti-vibration mounts, no rear chain catcher, possibly no underside chain catcher, buggrer all decals to name but a few.

First time a saw kicks back on you you will realise why a chain brake is an important addition to sensible use. You don't seem to be aware of the important thing about chainbrakes. When the saw kicks back, your left wrist should physically engage the brake without you having to do anything. At least then when the bar hits your forehead the chain won't be moving. Life or death.

Take a course, honestly it will be money well spent. After that I'd be surprised if you don't get yourself another saw.

Take a course, honestly it will be money well spent. After that I'd be surprised if you don't get yourself another saw.

I will take the course you mention and in the meantime look for a modern saw. As i said in my introduction.."Newbie here"..I'm here to learn and first lesson of the day was, "yer Saw is dangerous for a new start".

I can also see why people in here are reluctant to give me advice considering my first choice of saw. I suppose it's a bit like me jumping into a motor racing forum and asking if this old 1930's leather helmet will do for formula 1.

To give you all more of a insight into what i plan to make here's what i'm up to .

Screenshot_296_zpstmedwdn3.png

Screenshot_293_zpsvtd9t1ph.png

Screenshot_295_zpsy8yz2vqy.png

Screenshot_296_zpstmedwdn3.png

Burl Kuksa's..really hard piece wood to remove...hence the chainsaw.

Screenshot_297_zpsj0n3aycg.png

Screenshot_298_zpsspmaaejw.png

And maybe one day...aye, in my dreams.. :lol:

Screenshot_294_zpsahy05yen.png

Cheers.

You bought an old heavy slow saw to carve with, have you had a go at it yet ? You are kidding us it must be a wind up. Can you get a dime tip bar for the saw you will need one for those Kuksa projects, they are usually done with hand tools like an axe, small adze and spoon knives. Best of luck with your projects and saw. Start with a few mushrooms, get something to hold your wood steady and keep the hospital on speed dial. Have a look on chainsawbars at carving setups and see why they are used for the job, light fast saws with fine chain and bar.

You cant use that old saw for carving mate.

You need a lighter saw with a carving bar and chain.

I ll say this one more time for my own peace of mind.

Go on a course,get a little saw like a stihl ms 180/181, those saws are light but pwerful for there size and will do small fells,limbing, crosscutting and carving work.

By all means keep your old saw but as a project.

Good luck

Dont do anything silly

You cant use that old saw for carving mate.

You need a lighter saw with a carving bar and chain.

I ll say this one more time for my own peace of mind.

Go on a course,get a little saw like a stihl ms 180/181, those saws are light but pwerful for there size and will do small fells,limbing, crosscutting and carving work.

By all means keep your old saw but as a project.

Good luck

Dont do anything silly

The saw is to gather the wood. I have a Milbro pendant drill and chisels to do the carvings.