Amey are employing bouncers in Sheffield!

inthewoods

10 hours ago, Khriss said:

This was used as an example in my Tech cert on LA obligations, Tree, but sadly the money can't be taken back easily as many .Gov computer projects for the NHS have shown :( K

From what I've seen of the contract if targets aren't met or obligations met then it results in a penalty,  it can either be service points or a financial penalty which is deducted  from the money paid to the contractor (amey). Yes I know with some government contacts it's not always easy to take back.

On 30/05/2017 at 05:21, johnp said:

A30 fairmile/allercombe, Birmingham northern relief Rd, a320 Guildford and Lyminge forest in Kent. They were really good times

Why were they "really good times?". Are you an "anti-establishment" sort of person who is against progress or someone who was having a blast while the state was paying you?

I feel unsettled by what is happening in Sheffield but, by and large, the tree stock had to be mismanaged over years (decades) because of lack of money, lack of knowledge and lack of impetus. Yes, it has been handled badly and the majority of protests are from an biased, ill informed public who are coerced by the press whose only interest is to sell space. 

• Like 1

I suppose that it is really all about the insidious creep of health and safety versus amenity.  And the H&S will always win

I expect that there will be a time when all our beautiful mature roadside oak, lime, ash etc will be considered potentially dangerous and there will be an order for their removal, even though they are inspected.  A lawyer will argue that a large tree is always potentially dangerous and the more risk averse and litigious our society becomes, the worse it will become.

The argument against that, based on the recorded no of deaths and injuries from tree failures (parts/whole) is that the risk is so low as to be tolerable (based on the HSEs own risk tolerability triangle)

lets stop driving, climbing stairs,  adventure sports etc that pose a real threat and spend time and effort promoting the social, environmental and economic benefits of trees to put things into perspective. 

Not arguing with anyone on this, just my opinion that too little is done by the industry to educate the general public and to balance the scales of public opinion (having spent the morning talking to clients whose trees are big and therefore 'must' be dangerous.

• Like 1

I suppose that it is really all about the insidious creep of health and safety versus amenity.  And the H&S will always win

I expect that there will be a time when all our beautiful mature roadside oak, lime, ash etc will be considered potentially dangerous and there will be an order for their removal, even though they are inspected.  A lawyer will argue that a large tree is always potentially dangerous and the more risk averse and litigious our society becomes, the worse it will become.

There is a cost aspect to consider as well. Over 30 years compare the initial cost of removing a mature lime and replacing with a small amenity species compared to twice annual basal & epicormic removal, 5 year repollarding and inspections. Throw in the cost of some requiring pavement repairs and the occasional root barrier. Not my view point but there is a valid fiscal arguement point for removals. It's shame but the days of large street trees are numbered in my humble opinion.

10 hours ago, PeteB said:

Why were they "really good times?". Are you an "anti-establishment" sort of person who is against progress or someone who was having a blast while the state was paying you?

I feel unsettled by what is happening in Sheffield but, by and large, the tree stock had to be mismanaged over years (decades) because of lack of money, lack of knowledge and lack of impetus. Yes, it has been handled badly and the majority of protests are from an biased, ill informed public who are coerced by the press whose only interest is to sell space. 

I wouldn't say that protesters are 'ill informed' when very well respected consultants such as Jeremy Barrell have personally been to Sheffield, inspected trees that have been earmarked for removal and consequently been publicly scathing about what is going on in Sheffield.

I have personally been to Sheffield on a number of occasions to see for myself what is going on up there. Of course there are a number of trees whose removal is warranted. What is apparent however is the lack of continuity in the decisions to remove trees. There are many trees causing extensive damage to walls and pavements yet are being retained although alternative engineering solutions are available yet in the same road trees that are causing no obvious damage at all are being removed. I saw lime trees with extensive decay being retained yet a couple of   trees along the road the tree has dislodged a kerb stone and has been put down for a fell. 

Read Jeremy's view here

BTC112-AANews-Complete-151016.pdf

Edited by sean
  • Like 1

They were really good times because it felt like we were making a difference, the state actually did take notice and we did make them think twice, it was something I strongly believed in and I lived those beliefs.
  • Like 1