Staff issues

simonm

Having worked hard from 15 years old to the present day never claiming benefits (except child benefit which would be stupid to give back just like not claiming what's due on your tax return) I get where you are coming from. But I don't see how small business can sustain paying people top money.

Utilities on the other hand I can't fathom why the workers are not on £500 a day!

We've had a road shut in lincoln for 4 weeks to widen a 100 yard stretch.

It's cost £500000 of which £300000 was for moving gas electricity and water pipes 12 yards.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

I'll try to explain how Utilites work, having done ten years working for one water company. Mrs Egg working at the same company for 26 years.....

You get in your van and drive to the job, you wait hours for materials/parts that the lady in the scheduling centre tells you are on there way, being supplied from a preferred contractor. Then you wait some more hours, and the parts don't turn up. Twenty phone calls later and you still ain't got the parts that you need to do the job, so you go home.

Is the fact that the road is closed and blokes are sat around doing nowt the fault of the lads in vans?

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll try to explain how Utilites work, having done ten years working for one water company. Mrs Egg working at the same company for 26 years.....

You get in your van and drive to the job, you wait hours for materials/parts that the lady in the scheduling centre tells you are on there way, being supplied from a preferred contractor. Then you wait some more hours, and the parts don't turn up. Twenty phone calls later and you still ain't got the parts that you need to do the job, so you go home.

Is the fact that the road is closed and blokes are sat around doing nowt the fault of the lads in vans?

No it's not the fault of the lads "doing the work" I just think the numbers are mind blowing for what was actually achieved! It was not a dig at the workforce more the contractor/ council for agreeing to do the work at huge costs. Unless the conduit etc is made from platinum[emoji16]

No it's not the fault of the lads "doing the work" I just think the numbers are mind blowing for what was actually achieved! It was not a dig at the workforce more the contractor/ council for agreeing to do the work at huge costs. Unless the conduit etc is made from platinum[emoji16]

I think you're seeing the tip of the iceberg and not the amount of effort that went into preparing the road widening scheme.

Diverting utilities is a nightmare as it involves a lot of sitting round a table with each utility employee trying to defend their utility. Contractors have to spend ages getting utility diversions right because the results of getting it wrong are horrific. If someone dies due to negligence the directors of the Contractor could go to prison.

I was working on a motorway at 4am. The Contractor was stripping topsoil from the central reservation of the motorway. Suddenly there was a "whoosh" as the excavator broke a gas valve that was in the central reservation.

British Gas were called out and the leak was fixed at about 8am. The Contractor had to pay a fine of £35k for each lane that was not open to the public for each half hour after 6am.

ie the Contractor paid a fine of £280k because he broke a valve that was not on any as built drawing...

I think you're seeing the tip of the iceberg and not the amount of effort that went into preparing the road widening scheme.

Diverting utilities is a nightmare as it involves a lot of sitting round a table with each utility employee trying to defend their utility. Contractors have to spend ages getting utility diversions right because the results of getting it wrong are horrific. If someone dies due to negligence the directors of the Contractor could go to prison.

I was working on a motorway at 4am. The Contractor was stripping topsoil from the central reservation of the motorway. Suddenly there was a "whoosh" as the excavator broke a gas valve that was in the central reservation.

British Gas were called out and the leak was fixed at about 8am. The Contractor had to pay a fine of £35k for each lane that was not open to the public for each half hour after 6am.

ie the Contractor paid a fine of £280k because he broke a valve that was not on any as built drawing...

That's all well and good but it was still half a million to widen a road by 8 feet give or take for 100 yards. It's bonkers.

So. The question is. What is the pay for someone who has tickets from cs30 up to including cs41.

What do you want to be paid? And be realistic as we all want a grand a day.

I'm not greedy. I am semi retired. I did all my qualifications just out of interest of safety to myself.

:sneaky2: this is always the question I ask and the reply is always what are you going to pay me, it ends up a cat and mouse game as I want to pay you the lowest rate I can get and you want the highest rate I will pay.

Why don't you just say it, to be honest when I interview people or get people in to freelance for us I'd rather they just tell me want you want, we all know the market if you tell me what you want I will know your value, and I want to pay you what you want so you will be happy, people that are happy with their rate work harder for you, if they don't the don't come back simple.

When I freelanced there were a number of outfits I approached, some advertised here i was always up front with what I wanted to get paid, some never used me. Some tried to barter me down (not a good tactic on first contact with potential freelancer) some thought I was expensive used me anyway and I don't think I ever disappointed and I made sure they got value for money as a freelancer your there to make them money and improve their business so pay me what I want and I will do my best for you.

I really miss freelancing

Edited by Marc