Pershore College Arboriculture - Images

Yawn. They're arb students - why be so negative about a post with some great photos?!

I don't think that's negative at all. Its constructive criticism that identifies a problem and suggests a solution, which is the very definition of learning. Appreciating that high stumps cause problems for others is an entirely valid learning outcome.

As you rightly say, they are students, they are in a learning environment, if they aren't going to develop best practice in a place of education, they are going to learn it the hard way when the forwarder driver complains to the boss about the new bloke leaving a mess and wrecking the sidewalls on expensive tyres.

Edit............

I need to type faster

Edited by treequip

Thanks for your feedback, I'm a lecturer, students are also with an instructor. If every student felled a tree perfectly from day one there would be nothing to teach and the world would be a very boring place. Students do receive constructive feedback and are well aware of timber wastage and forest machines - thank you.

What a trite reply. All TCD was doing was pointing out that the cut needed to be lower, which you seem to agree with. Why if you've got lectures and instructors aren't you teaching these youngster the correct way of doing the job from the get go?

Surely if the instructor was worth his salt he would have stopped the young lad and showed him the correct procedure?

This probably won't go down well with the Arbtalk lovies but it needs addressing. Teach them correctly whilst young and they will pay our pensions.

What a disappointment that a genuinely interesting and positive post about up and coming arborists in education, has so quickly turned in to an opportunity to criticise.

So, the stump of that tree may be a little high. But was that really the only thing worth saying about this thread and the pictures?

Anyone can play the old 'constructive criticism' card whilst taking a swipe at someone else from behind a keyboard. John is taking positive action by actually investing time and effort in teaching the next generation of arbs - and these photos demonstrate that. He's employed as the lecturer to give constructive criticism to students, not us.

If I were one of the students at Pershore reading this thread, it wouldn't make me want to join in on the forum as a place of learning and discussion. All I'm trying to say is, there's room for a bit more grace on here before jumping in with criticism, otherwise people will be put off posting - especially photos.

What a disappointment that a genuinely interesting and positive post about up and coming arborists in education, has so quickly turned in to an opportunity to criticise.

So, the stump of that tree may be a little high. But was that really the only thing worth saying about this thread and the pictures?

Anyone can play the old 'constructive criticism' card whilst taking a swipe at someone else from behind a keyboard. John is taking positive action by actually investing time and effort in teaching the next generation of arbs - and these photos demonstrate that. He's employed as the lecturer to give constructive criticism to students, not us.

If I were one of the students at Pershore reading this thread, it wouldn't make me want to join in on the forum as a place of learning and discussion. All I'm trying to say is, there's room for a bit more grace on here before jumping in with criticism, otherwise people will be put off posting - especially photos.

I'm sorry Paul but this is utter nonsense. TCD earns his living in the woods, he knows what is acceptable and what isn't.

Anyone can play the old 'he's employed as the lecturer card' whilst not teaching the next generation to do the job correctly. Not that I'm blaming John.

I get sick and tired of folk making excuses for shoody workmanship.

TCD said the lad would be off the job on day one. Do you think this is a good start for a lad trying to get into any trade?

I'm sorry Paul but this is utter nonsense. TCD earns his living in the woods, he knows what is acceptable and what isn't.

Anyone can play the old 'he's employed as the lecturer card' whilst not teaching the next generation to do the job correctly. Not that I'm blaming John.

I get sick and tired of folk making excuses for shoody workmanship.

TCD said the lad would be off the job on day one. Do you think this is a good start for a lad trying to get into any trade?

Fair point but maybe just maybe it was the apprentices first time putting a tree the deck.

My 1st attempt at felling was bloody awful.

People need practice before perfection is achieved