Advice for buying start-up tipper

Djvicke1

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

18 munts ago i bought a 2002 MK6 Transit crew cab tipper for £2.5k, it had 118,000 miles on it. I went down this route as i was on a tight budget and the condition of the bodywork panels and more importantly the chassis rails was very good plus i knew i could make it into a semi decent looking arb wagon as and when i had some spare cash to throw at it.

It has an alloy butt built (with high weld mesh sides to which i have attached 5mm board to contain the chip) on a steel subframe so only required a very small amount of welding to get me started.

I have spent some more money on it's appearance by having the rusty and concrete/paint splattered weld mesh sand blasted and powder coated silver.

The reason i went down the Ford Transit route is new or used parts are plentiful and available same day / next day with the loikes of engines, gearboxes, axles being easy to buy reconditioned and are easy enough to repair at home or by a decent 'back street mechanic'. Plus it has less in the way of electronics when compared to a MK7 Transit.

I chose carefully and got lucky. I'm happy to keep spending out on 'improvements' as my mechanic and the MOT man reckon the lack of rust will probably mean another 5 years of use all being well.

My pet hates being.

Leaving the windows down or doors open whilst chipping or when raining.

Driving like a hoon and getting the wingmirrors smashed on other hoons drivers wingmirrors.

Not taking off filthy gloves before moving truck.

Leaving food packaging in door pockets.

We bought a used 2008 Iveco in 2012 for around £9k plus vat

Returned to the U.K for it as the savings where around 40% over used trucks here.

We've needed to change the rear bearings each side, clutch and it eats front tyres due to being overloaded so often and rear ones as we forget to check the pressures but in 5 years it really has been good to us.

It had a diff replacement before we bought it which was an eye watering sum.

10-12 litres per 100km.

I think we have been fairly lucky in terms of repairs.

However, I have never been able to instill in my team any sense of ownership and pride in the vehicles we have.

Ty

My pet hates being.

Leaving the windows down or doors open whilst chipping or when raining.

Driving like a hoon and getting the wingmirrors smashed on other hoons drivers wingmirrors.

Not taking off filthy gloves before moving truck.

Leaving food packaging in door pockets.

We bought a used 2008 Iveco in 2012 for around £9k plus vat

Returned to the U.K for it as the savings where around 40% over used trucks here.

We've needed to change the rear bearings each side, clutch and it eats front tyres due to being overloaded so often and rear ones as we forget to check the pressures but in 5 years it really has been good to us.

It had a diff replacement before we bought it which was an eye watering sum.

10-12 litres per 100km.

I think we have been fairly lucky in terms of repairs.

However, I have never been able to instill in my team any sense of ownership and pride in the vehicles we have.

Ty

.......rage.

Reminds me of our younger days (early 80s) pre skunk we used to smoke solid gear, which you broke into little bits to put in the joint.

Then we'd all go to the garage in a mark 2 cortina and eat ourselves stupid, dropping food and wrappers every where.

So the owner of the cortina used to tell us he spent all week getting high on the bits of leb we dropped on the floor.

Turns out he had a mouse in the car.