Diesel vehicle scrappage scheme being announced soon...

SteveA

T

If you do short trips isn't it cheaper to run a petrol equivalent? I think that's what I heard someone mention.

cheers, Steve

It's an interesting one; I drove hundreds of thousands of miles in a peugeot 206 diesel getting around 60 mpg and we changed the oil about every 12k miles. It devalued from about £1000 to zero when I packed it in. I don't think you can get much cheaper motoring.

However in about 1995 I needed a replacement works vehicle and wanted a 4WD again , my choice was to go LR110 .A 5 year old tdi would cost about £8k but an ex mod V8 £2250 of same age.

As I intended to only work a 20mile radius I calculated the 19mpg petro verses the 27mpg diesel would never make up the difference in capital cost. Also back then the service interval was 5k miles for diesel. So I went for the V8 and kept it working for about 13 years and 100k miles.

In the event I forked out £1200 for an LPG conversion and stretched the service interval to 20k miles and the oil was still golden ( a mate had the oil analysed on his and it still showed adequate detergents and lubricity well after this as the LPG burns cleaner). The 150 mile range was a pain as it meant refuelling twice a week.

I had a second high compression engine which should have been even more economical with higher gearing but that sits in my garage long after the 110 was sold as I didn't have enough round tuits to fit it.

Even earlier in about 1988 I ran a 2.3 petrol Bedford CF to deliver logs, it returned around 19mpg but its big benefit was as it was not a tipper and weighed 1500kg empty so could just about carry the Holder empty though I moved it under its own steam when necessary.

I'm actually a diesel fan and have a 2009 1.4 diesel (same engine as pug) fiesta as a family car but my other vehicles are both petrol.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

more utter tosh being rolled out,

More "green wash".

There is more pollution created producing a car than most will produce in their life time.

The most environmentally friendly thing any motorist can do is run their car into the ground.

The guy with the 15 year old car is doing far more to save the planet and than some smug prat in a new Prius.

On the money. Diesel isn't dirtier. Higher NOx, lower everything else.

Idiots.

It may be a returned uigate milk float with a chip box on and a new shinny tow bar .!.

Jokes aside I would look at an electric transit t350 if they did one. For stop start work in London (watering contracts, basal growth, planting, etc) it would be well suited. Diesel is pretty much the only option though.

I believe it's aimed at reducing localised pollution, ie exhaust emissions.... and that's a wise move, I think.

But yes I agree that it doesn't nescesarily do anything to improve global pollution & natural resource depletion.

However, I do disagree about your most environmentally friendly stance.... driving cars is never going to save the planet, because it's not the planet that needs saving.... it's mankind, destroying itself/ alongside alotta animals, etc.

The most environmentally friendly thing a motorist can do is give up motoring and start pedalling a bamboo pushbike towing a hemp trailer.

+ stop breeding.

cheers, steve

This, nail on head :-)

:thumbup::thumbup1:

This.

Two wongs don't make a wite (said Jonathon Woss). :001_huh:

[ATTACH]218965[/ATTACH]

Back to the good old days then 😄

I know it's environmentally naughty but I do love the smell of coke and steam. Nostalgic memories of growing up with the Great Dorset Steam Fair, I guess?

cheers, steve