Cost of trade!

Aaron king

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

just to add. in building trade chippies probably have the most kit van full of it and are the cheapest trade, around same day rate as a good bricky.

Most expensive are plumbers, failed plumbers or sparkies as they are known by are somewhere in the middle.

Saying that we pay upto 50% more day rate for a reliable worker who does good work fast. Not many of them about though really, most subbies are bare min. Also known to drop a couple grand christmas bonus to a subbie who done good for the firm over the year.

The hardest kit to find is a good realiable subbie.

Oh and no cash of course all CIS!!!!

just to add. in building trade chippies probably have the most kit van full of it and are the cheapest trade, around same day rate as a good bricky.

Most expensive are plumbers, failed plumbers or sparkies as they are known by are somewhere in the middle.

It is ironic that brickies who get paid handsomely have to spend the least on tools . A bucket full of trowels , hammers and chisels , and a couple of levels and they are good to go .

Spare a thought for us multi-talented types who do a bit of everything(except plumbing and electrics). I have to have tools to do carpentry , bricklaying , plastering , timber framing , roofing , a bit of basic joinery and anything else that needs doing . I haven't just spent thousands on tools over the years , I have spent tens of thousands !

My tree stuff cost me loads, but the tarmac truck wasn't cheap nor were the adidas trackies and 3 core poly-rope. And dont get me started on the cost of braces and my pork-pie hat.

Haha

Mechanics have a few quids worth of stuff in there gararage. Always feel i am getting scewed when i need em tho.

We do it for the love of the job to an extent, my current lineup of machinery cost me in excess of £60,000 for my fencing and stonewalling business, not to mention smaller tools like chainsaws etc. Yes it earns me a reasonable living but I expect in reality most would be disappointed in the return for that sort of outlay. I am aware of several trades that are far worse of than that in general.

Sorry you got broken in to though- it stinks!