Chainsaw protective gloves

Paul in the woods

Does anyone use glove(s) with cut protection these days? As a novice I bought a pair and I've almost worn out in the palm area even though I've not used them much. I find they don't grip the saw as well as cheap rubber coated grippy glovers and I'm wondering if they are likely to cause more problems than they stop. This is simply for use on the ground, felling and logging.

I dont bother,biggest rip off goin in arboriculture imo.

The chainbrake protects your hand in the event of a kickback,your trigger hand is protected by the handle guard and the chain catcher stops the chain coming back at your hand in the event of a derail...

As an added bonus much of these gloves are made of goat leather...lovely soft stuff that when it gets wet is slippery as #@*#.

You need a pair for ground chainsaw courses but thats it.

Sorry mate rant over

A clever way to charge £25 for a pair of gloves. Waste of money if you ask me.

Thermal rubber palmed ones fir me too 👍

I sometimes use welding gauntlets for thorny stuff but you do lose sensitivity to what you're doing. Just use a fork or a saw head on a long arm hedge cutter body.

Sent from my D6603 using Arbtalk mobile app

I wear leather/elasticated nylon mix gloves that my saw dealer sells comfortable when using a saw and doing any rope work and thick rubber dipped gloves if it's wet/ brash dragging.

I find the chainsaw rated gloves too bulky/hazardous to use every day and they are bloody expensive here.

I know what price do you put on your hands but I find reflexes are quicker in something light

• 2 weeks later...

I have put the question of chainsaw gloves to the HSE. The thinking was that keeping hands warm and dry - to reduce risks from Hand Arm Vibration, and protecting from thorns etc. could be more of an issue, given the protection built into the chainsaw. However, it may be worth risk assessing them out where they are not used to evidence they have been considered and ruled out. This will also be the way to go where contract arrangements require their use ( as was the way with some of the Forestry Commission one I believe).