AA / HSE consultation on Toppers

kevinjohnsonmbe

Thinking about it, the only way an accident comes to HSE attention is when it is reported or high profile.

Banning sale of new toppers might be achievable, but banning use of existing units won't be.

So existing units will become treasured and cared for (no bad thing) and their use will continue.

Occasional accidents will still happen, but after the death or injury, the unfortunate victim will then face an HSE prosecution....

Problem (if a genuine "problem" actually exists) NOT solved...

I think banning top handled saws would be a retrograde step. I believe strongly in the old adage that "a bad workman blames his tools". The answer has to lie in better education.

I think they may have made up their minds already and are hoping for data to back them up.

One handing a saw is a factor to injury, I've seen it happen, very experienced climber, kick back to chest, not pretty.

Work positioning is key to help prevent incidents.

Fatigue is a factor.

Rushing on badly priced work.

Finally, accidents happen no matter how experienced, you can never legistate for the random.

I agree entirely with this sentiment. There will always be accidents even with the most highly trained individuals. There is little point in blaming the tools. As the American gun lobby likes to remind us "it aint the guns that kill people its the people".

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All, perhaps to quell speculation here.

The survey is resultant from the Coroner issuing a 'Prevention of Future Deaths' report to the industry / HSE and the chaps Father who is driving a campaign to 'consider' a possible engineering solution / control.

There is no underlying proposal to ban 'toppers'...or certainly not as far as we are aware.

Cheers all,

Paul

The survey is resultant from the Coroner issuing a 'Prevention of Future Deaths' report to the industry / HSE and the chaps Father who is driving a campaign to 'consider' a possible engineering solution / control.

There is no underlying proposal to ban 'toppers'...or certainly not as far as we are aware.

Cheers all,

Paul

Hi Paul whilst my heart goes out to the families and friends of those who lost loved one in these tragic events I strongly feel and engineering soloution/control is the wrong road to be taking.

Having some insight to one of those who lost his life recently I feel training and also those that employ needing to look at supervision to prevent further deaths as being more useful to prevent further deaths.

Hi Paul whilst my heart goes out to the families and friends of those who lost loved one in these tragic events I strongly feel and engineering soloution/control is the wrong road to be taking.

Having some insight to one of those who lost his life recently I feel training and also those that employ needing to look at supervision to prevent further deaths as being more useful to prevent further deaths.

Hill Marc, I do acknowledge your comments here and encourage you to complete the questionnaire.

Thanks

Paul

A chainsaw cannot be made safe, s##t bust. They are used to cut things much more resilient than what the human body is constructed off. They are a necessary evil as it were to carry out work on trees. Our work is on trees and every single one is different and x ray vision does not exist to see inside what we cut on the ground or in the tree, therefore accidents will happen. Whether that's pure bad luck or user error is something to be decided after the fact. Everyone is guilty at some point of bad practice or laziness, some of us more than others granted.

I feel that spending two weeks on a course and being qualified to "crack on" is not right, the irata system does not allow this, why does arb? Some of us are lucky enough to be tutored and mentored from day dot however the training system doesn't make this mandatory in my mind it should and I have added this to the site.

Cheers all,

Paul

Thanks Paul. I'll douse my flaming torch and put my pitchfork away.

Maybe there should be an electronic trigger on the handle behind the chainbrake, a bit like the magic eye on grinders.

Sure you could tape it up if you were of a mind to do it, but more responsible companies could ensure that doesn't happen.