Ascending with Spikes

stewmo

i think one of the main reasons people buy the spike assecnder is for use with srt climbing systems where a foot assender is essential.

Is SRT climbing essential and are foot ascendors with spikes?

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is SRT climbing essential and are foot ascendors with spikes?

er i didnt say srt climbing was essential! i thought a foot assecender was essential for srt climbing?? maybe some people use just spikes when dismantling on an srt sytem. the spike assender is out of my budget but id say its a nice bit of kit though.

Am i missing something here..?.

Yeah I think you (and others) are. There are clearly times when it would be easier to ascend rather than spike. Sure, most days on spikes I'm spiking the tree from the base no problem.

Using SRT to access the crown with a foot ascender and a HAAS type ascender is far easier than climbing the tree. Even using Ddrt it's easier.

I'm regularly climbing pretty tall trees which can be hard work and take a lot of time to spike up.

For example a mature Beech can be a long way to the top and really quite fat all the way. It's much easier to bypass that. I did one where I was in the tree for 4 days rigging and after dragging myself up the stem I decided that I would invest in something to make the job easier and thus make me more productive.

Or like yesterday I was removing a couple of long limbs over a road which required spikes but I didn't want to spike the main stem.

Or climbing big Pines where the bark is so flaky that you can hardly get the gaffs into the wood.

So far I have done the same as Marc (thanks for your comment) and put spikes on up the tree, but this is often a faff, and so I'm interested in some honest advice on how others approach this situation.

er i didnt say srt climbing was essential! i thought a foot assecender was essential for srt climbing?? maybe some people use just spikes when dismantling on an srt sytem. the spike assender is out of my budget but id say its a nice bit of kit though.

I reckon a foot ascender is pretty essential for SRT. Others may disagree but without the 2:1 advantage of a doubled rope I find myself wanting a bit more leg power.

Is this not the point of spikes? Youth of today need a old bt pole belt and some 3 strand for a week or until they learn not every gadget is needed :001_tt2:

Some "gadgets" are a god send some are just trying to remover your hard earned from your pocket I personally think spike ascenders are in the latter group:thumbdown:

Glad I'm still young, pushing 40 and all that. 👍

Glad I'm still young, pushing 40 and all that.

Me to on the young bit, I don't think there is a right or wrong or essential way of doing this job, just whatever suits you best and the problems you face on a day to day basis.

Your right it is a faff to put spikes on in the tree sometimes but like yourself I prefer to miss out the first spiked ascent particularly on chunky stuff get my line in then I'm good to go for the rest of the day.

To be honest I have forgotten what the opening post was exactly, it's harsh to say but the reality is the kit cost nothing and you should never think how expensive it is if it makes your life easier go for it.

I once had a real passion for kit hence I have a garage, attic and yard full of stuff, as time goes by I find I get more and more minimalist, that's just me and how I tackle the work I do.

I climb SRT on everything because of boredom and like it because it liberated me of even more equipment (no seperate SRT access kit) not that I ever found using DdRT particularly difficult or any less efficient.

I rarely climb these days anyway.

I am rambling now.

I reckon a foot ascender is pretty essential for SRT. Others may disagree but without the 2:1 advantage of a doubled rope I find myself wanting a bit more leg power.

Had you said on the original post that it was for srt you would have got more relevant answers.

As for long ascents then yeah ascenders are more ergonomic.

I dont climb srt buuuut i have a haas that is awesome on long ascents on ddrt.

Plenty of srt threads on these pages for your perusal if thats your thing.

Kiwi klimbers do spikes with an ascender attatched thats meant for srt.

I pop an ascender on over my spikes on srt. That way you can ascend normally with a Haas system, or clip your neck/chest tether in as well as your panting, and just spike up the stem, with your system advancing as you go. You don't even need a lanyard unless it's a really far or smooth stem.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Arbtalk mobile app

I used to put the footascender under my spikes before I got a spikescender. Had I not got the spikescender free, I wouldn't have bought it and I would still be using the panting.

Key is to place the ascended just behind the shank to try and minimise movement. (Worked for me)

Jake Andrews