Ascending with Spikes

stewmo

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use a CT ascender over my spikes - I'd be very wary using any foot ascender that doesn't have a locking cam (like a pantin) with spikes - if it kicks out unexpectedly you could make a proper mess of your other leg...

That would be unpleasant. Ct works fine over spikes fo' sho'

I use a CT ascender over my spikes - I'd be very wary using any foot ascender that doesn't have a locking cam (like a pantin) with spikes - if it kicks out unexpectedly you could make a proper mess of your other leg...

Very good point. Got a CT so that's all good

Yeah I think you (and others) are. There are clearly times when it would be easier to ascend rather than spike. Sure, most days on spikes I'm spiking the tree from the base no problem.

Using SRT to access the crown with a foot ascender and a HAAS type ascender is far easier than climbing the tree. Even using Ddrt it's easier.

I'm regularly climbing pretty tall trees which can be hard work and take a lot of time to spike up.

For example a mature Beech can be a long way to the top and really quite fat all the way. It's much easier to bypass that. I did one where I was in the tree for 4 days rigging and after dragging myself up the stem I decided that I would invest in something to make the job easier and thus make me more productive.

Or like yesterday I was removing a couple of long limbs over a road which required spikes but I didn't want to spike the main stem.

Or climbing big Pines where the bark is so flaky that you can hardly get the gaffs into the wood.

So far I have done the same as Marc (thanks for your comment) and put spikes on up the tree, but this is often a faff, and so I'm interested in some honest advice on how others approach this situation.

A perfect response, many people in the uk climb large awkward trees often l,depending where in the country you live, if you can easily spike up a tree from the base every time your not doing many big trees or your not bothered about how long it takes. It is all dependant on what kind of work you do, if your doing silver birches and conifers in your neighbours back garden you don't need a ascender, if your doing a 100ft leggy Ash tree that is over a house, greenhouse and wires then an ascender system would be very welcome

A perfect response, many people in the uk climb large awkward trees often l,depending where in the country you live, if you can easily spike up a tree from the base every time your not doing many big trees or your not bothered about how long it takes. It is all dependant on what kind of work you do, if your doing silver birches and conifers in your neighbours back garden you don't need a ascender, if your doing a 100ft leggy Ash tree that is over a house, greenhouse and wires then an ascender system would be very welcome

You forgot to add... "covered in ivy"