Would you climb this ?

Tree Tastic Care

Ratchet strapped a fair few over the years- climbed some, MEWP'd some craned some take each job as it comes and do it however you feel comfortable with.

For what's it's worth the Oak in the picture we had a MEWP on but it didn't work as i couldn't site it out of the danger zone so went overkill on the ratchets and climbed it.

IMG_3942.jpg.39bb782d8422d29648b3ccb936fc30e1.jpg

IMG_3943.jpg.67edc7846bbeed9b559f66334ecfe30c.jpg

IMG_3944.jpg.f68bc38319646dcf7ceedda192395924.jpg

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

why put your neck to save a client money, if its extra in your back pocket maybe but if its the client, bring in the mewp

None of us can really comment on the OP's tree as we have not seen it, his original comment of would you climb, I think most of us have said maybe we would.

Having dealt with a number of split trees a MEWP is not my first port of call, it is usually FellAtGround-Crane-MEWP-Climb, if the tree is liable to collapse how is siting a platform beside it the safest option? Unless you can find a machine with suffcient outreach to be outside the drop zone (unlikely) or place it where you can to some degree of certainty be sure it will not be struck.

Many years ago when done my climbing ticket, i always remember the trainer saying he very rarely climbs willow as it was so unpredicatable and never lowers of it and just gets a mwep in or turns job down.

Possibly he was exagerating to drum into us newbies how brittle and unpredicatable sme trees species are.

That was 15 odd years ago and mweps were unhear off in this area back then

That probably why he was a trainer, as they say "those who can't,…… teach" he sounds pretty clueless to me :001_rolleyes:

That probably why he was a trainer, as they say "those who can't,…… teach" he sounds pretty clueless to me :001_rolleyes:

To be fair ur usually right above, but he definately seemed to know his stuff to me (and my bs meter is usually not too bad) and he only comes in to do occasional courses as he has his own tree surgery business.

I know some pff the other FT trainers at that colege definately fall into the above bracket

I think he might of being exagerating slightly to emphisis to us the differences in deffierent timber types

To be fair ur usually right above, but he definately seemed to know his stuff to me (and my bs meter is usually not too bad) and he only comes in to do occasional courses as he has his own tree surgery business.

I know some pff the other FT trainers at that colege definately fall into the above bracket

I think he might of being exagerating slightly to emphisis to us the differences in deffierent timber types

Nothing like putting the fear of God into people to make them think I suppose, but some of the biggest trees I've climbed barring a few Wellies, Oaks and Planes are Poplar and Willow so for such fragile trees they sure grow big.. I personally don't like rigging them because they are flexible wobbly things but that is why they get big they absorb energy so well.

So yeah probably exaggerating things a little.

• 3 weeks later...

any takers??

got about 12 foot up and decided the adjacent healthy sitka was a better option.

of the remaining wall wood id say less than 10% was actually alive not quiet sure how the tree was staying up.

managed to get a fell on the stem with a tirfor and side guy line.

P1070619.jpg.51a443334d50407526730a30ef0fda61.jpg

P1070622.jpg.71c83d49d6f07057b2a8fe8c4f29671f.jpg