Subcontractor skill level

simonm

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I personally feel that the problem is that men starting out don't want to stick with a firm long enough to learn every little detail of the job, they get the tickets then instantly want more money, jumping straight into saying they can do everything because they have the tickets, they can't. Even though I found it difficult the best thing I did was learn on the job with one company for many years. Then I contract climbed along side it. Now I run my own business and I have a core few subbies I use. One travels around 1.5 hours, he also owns his own company, so he isn't cheap, but he can do everything, technical Rigging, big felling, the lot, he is worth 2 "lads" then I go and help him for big climbing stuff. Once you find someone reliable and good don't hesitate to pay correctly. Also without sounding like a pedo, keep an eye out to see if you have any mates or relatives with lads leaving school. Often you can tell they will be good by there parents and there upbringing. Train them up.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi James I like the write up you have put, once trained in the necessary qualifications I want to work for a company, now in your opinion is there any other qualifications I should look at to give me a chance of being taken on by a company? I know I wouldn't have the experience as a New trained person ! Any info would be appreciated. Cheers Nick

Sent from my iPad using Arbtalk

Nikk, not sure how old your are but i would definitely recommend going to college and doing a national award (or similar ) in arboriculture. It will give a you a good understanding of the industry. As part of the corse you will need to gain work experience and that is probably the most important part. As said it is important to have the tickets ( the basics being cs 30,31,38 for a groundsman) but being able to put in a decent days work week in week out is probably the most important factor and will get you a job. Just need to get in with a good firm that will help you develop.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Arbtalk mobile app

Hi mark I am 52 ! Not scared of work my average day is 12 hours

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

Ha ha, the man that started this thread is Simon and no man I know could keep his pace for a 12 hour shift. :001_huh:

Seriously though, most tree work is grunt and graft and a 12 hour shift on the tools would be an exception . There was a whole HSE industry topic a few years ago about not pushing the envelope too far. The tag line went something along the lines of "don't make your last cut, your last cut"

I think it is a generation shift.

Kids that have grown up in Households where their Fathers have never done propper graft,the kids have had everything handed to them on a plate and received praise for every little thing they have ever done.

Coupled with the over emphasis on qualifiations over experiance that has saturated this industry.

Not all the new guys are self entitiled,underskilled over confident limp wristed serial selfie takers but its most of them.