Web site hosting costs.

Mick Dempsey

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You'd think so, but it doesn't:001_smile:

Thanks for the info, I'm rethinking it.

OK, to try & put web development into perspective in brief, is difficult - so how long is a piece of string?

When I used to do this sort of stuff I'd speak to the client to obtain their requirements, usually the brief was fairly vague but Id get them to show me a site they liked & make it like that or similar.

Id write the code ground up using text editor or my ancient version of DreamWeaver 4.1 well before Adobe got hold of it & ruined it. So that would produce fairly sleek efficient code that search engines like. This would maybe take me about an hour or two maximum for which Id charge £25 an hour so your six page site would cost £300 max, more like about £250 TBH.

Then Web2 came along with moving banners, flashing stuff & all sorts of fancy graphics along with every kind of plugin security vulnerability (ie flash etc) you could think of which screwed things up, I know it looks so pretty but you can produce an entire website in about an hour or so but its full of junk that you dont see or need, dont get me wrong some of the sites look great & really deliver, but theres a lot of superflous stuff. Sites that are clean means even 5, 6, 7 or more years after development they still get P1 results in Google search. That brings the subject of SEO, all my pages would be optimised but some companies expect you to pay extra but why should you not have anything but search engine optimised code?

So you have to strike a balance between what you want & what will get you business, people dont read acres of text, so just say what you need to, stick to relevent facts & keep your images the right size & meaningful & make sure your phone number is on the banner for every page as at some point, the client may make a 'buy decision' & wants to talk about it.

On a more important point, did you get any flicks of madame très chère?

Good luck

N

Edited by NFG

It's just them trying to take me for a ride, my current website is hosted in the U.K. And according to the technician (my brother in law) it can continue to be hosted there.

I've already discounted the company and have made enquiries elsewhere.

Its something to think about though, once a payment is on DD you tend to forget about it.

It's just them trying to take me for a ride, my current website is hosted in the U.K. And according to the technician (my brother in law) it can continue to be hosted there.

I've already discounted the company and have made enquiries elsewhere.

Its something to think about though, once a payment is on DD you tend to forget about it.

Yeah I try and kept the direct debits to a minimum.

I'd use the website you have and maybe just strip it back to a core and start again.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

Business partner has signed up to a contract without my permission for a contract, .fr domain with complete web development, management and hosting. 192euros per month.

Our current site is a .com, homemade and managed by a griend in Scotland.

Many French web companies will charge in relation to your turnover. Much as accountants do here.

Our budget for publicity is around 5% of turnover.

The new web contract is 2.2% of turnover.

Ty

Business partner has signed up to a contract without my permission for a contract, .fr domain with complete web development, management and hosting. 192euros per month.

Our current site is a .com, homemade and managed by a griend in Scotland.

Many French web companies will charge in relation to your turnover. Much as accountants do here.

Our budget for publicity is around 5% of turnover.

The new web contract is 2.2% of turnover.

Ty

How do you find having a business partner works overall?

Do you split profits or dividends, who decides how much is left in the business etc?

This will sound rude, but it is not intended that way. I have just done the maths on those figures and wonder how you live on that wage (assuming my guesstimates of overheads are somewhere near). I reckon you would earn more stacking shelves so why go through all the stress or having your own business.