Spam on chrome through Arbtalk

stewmo

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had it a few times but never on arbtalk, don't click on the page just press reset on the computer and run malwarebytes after restart just in case but if you click on the page it will install a fake scan and stop you opening malware checkers. It's ransomware I got it popping up whilst trying to find film downloads and free plans for different things.

Hmm,

Not much technical info to go on but it looks like a cross site scripting attack & as stated by Mr B its unlikely to be anything afecting the Arbtalk server itself, unfortunately most web browsers are fairly vulnerable & if you want to improve your web browsers security I would:

1. Install the add on No Script to FF & Safari, Im not sure if it works with IE or Chrome but there should be something similar. Once installed you then permit scripts on web sites which makes your browser much more secure. GITF for more.

2. Install the add on 'Ublock Origin' or AdBlock if you dont already use an adblocker, it will speed up your browsing & reduce the risk of a hostile ad attack. You can whitelist sites such as Arbtalk where the ads are generally useful.

3. Install the add on 'Ghostery' which controls tracking cookies a lot of sites use, some which can be hostile.

4. If you dont use a decent AV solution, try Sophos Home, it's very good & free and also blocks known attack sites

5. If you're a bit more adventurous & you track down where its coming from then you just need to add the line to your hosts file:

127.0.0.1 nastysite.com

nastysite.com being the origin of the attack & will be forever resolved to the loopback IP & thus your browser will ignore it.

Once installed one visit to dailymail.co.uk will show you the heaps of crap that are filtered out, if you bank on-line then I strongly recommend NoScript.

This is only the briefest response to what is an ever increasing problem and please be assured the above add ons do work very well as Ive trialed them on some extremely aggresive malware sites.

take care

N

Edited by NFG

Hmm,

Not much technical info to go on but it looks like a cross site scripting attack & as stated by Mr B its unlikely to be anything afecting the Arbtalk server itself, unfortunately most web browsers are fairly vulnerable & if you want to improve your web browsers security I would:

1. Install the add on No Script to FF & Safari, Im not sure if it works with IE or Chrome but there should be something similar. Once installed you then permit scripts on web sites which makes your browser much more secure. GITF for more.

2. Install the add on 'Ublock Origin' or AdBlock if you dont already use an adblocker, it will speed up your browsing & reduce the risk of a hostile ad attack. You can whitelist sites such as Arbtalk where the ads are generally useful.

3. Install the add on 'Ghostery' which controls tracking cookies a lot of sites use, some which can be hostile.

4. If you dont use a decent AV solution, try Sophos Home, it's very good & free and also blocks known attack sites

5. If you're a bit more adventurous & you track down where its coming from then you just need to add the line to your hosts file:

127.0.0.1 nastysite.com

nastysite.com being the origin of the attack & will be forever resolved to the loopback IP & thus your browser will ignore it.

Once installed one visit to dailymail.co.uk will show you the heaps of crap that are filtered out, if you bank on-line then I strongly recommend NoScript.

This is only the briefest response to what is an ever increasing problem and please be assured the above add ons do work very well as Ive trialed them on some extremely aggresive malware sites.

take care

N

Thanks NFG. I'll have a proper look at home this eve

• 1 month later...