Security measures thread

Starscream

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I work for the police and heard about this site through someone who had gear stolen. We recovered about 70 items from 2 warrants on 1st September. None of it was registered on here or http://www.immobilise.com which is a national property registration site.

We managed to charge a male and his mum for 11 handling charges and returned those 11 items to their owners with some hard work going through manufacturers and retailers so please don't say all police are rubbish.

A colleague and i spent weeks taking chainsaws apart looking for serial numbers, looking for smart water and UV marks.

We do recover property but trying to find owners is difficult if it isn't registered or marked. Most police forces all use different crime systems which makes it more difficult.

Generally if a crime is reported if there are no lines of enquiry there isn't much that can be done.

Trust me I want these people locked up and the key thrown away as much as the next person.

I'll post on here when the thief and his mum have been to court and let you know what happened

PS to the poster about speeding tickets.... we don't like doing them and generally are only in an area where people have complained. Damned if you do, damned if you don't!

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

I work for the police and heard about this site through someone who had gear stolen. We recovered about 70 items from 2 warrants on 1st September. None of it was registered on here or http://www.immobilise.com which is a national property registration site.

We managed to charge a male and his mum for 11 handling charges and returned those 11 items to their owners with some hard work going through manufacturers and retailers so please don't say all police are rubbish.

A colleague and i spent weeks taking chainsaws apart looking for serial numbers, looking for smart water and UV marks.

We do recover property but trying to find owners is difficult if it isn't registered or marked. Most police forces all use different crime systems which makes it more difficult.

Generally if a crime is reported if there are no lines of enquiry there isn't much that can be done.

Trust me I want these people locked up and the key thrown away as much as the next person.

I'll post on here when the thief and his mum have been to court and let you know what happened

PS to the poster about speeding tickets.... we don't like doing them and generally are only in an area where people have complained. Damned if you do, damned if you don't!

I have to say that if the police don't even bother to come to check a crime scene how on earth are there going to be any lines of enquiry?

If they don't look they won't find will they?

You are right. Unfortunately it is down to numbers of officers. If there are no obvious lines of enquiry... CCTV, possible surfaces for prints. I don't agree but there are only so many hours in the day and crimes need to be prioritised . Police are investigating all sorts of crime that they weren't investigating 20 years ago.

It's very frustrating and that's why lots of officers are leaving because they feel they can't give a good service anymore.

So am I to understand that stolen equipment is not reliably registered by the police? And that there is no unifying system to log serial numbers or unique ID?

Our equipment was well marked but I hold little hope of recovery.

Generally if a crime is reported it helps to first look to see if there is potential for lines of enquiry, there were 2 cctv systems on the street and plenty upon leaving the area, this was a large and very obvious piece of plant loaded onto a truck/trailer.

We now only bother to inform the police for a crime number, the saws stolen were all old, worn and due for replacement a way but it's hardly the point.

I left a saw in my truck [stupid i know] door got bust open saw got took police not interested even with a bust door so what does make em come out and have a look

Tell um you got said burglar in a headlock and they will be out but prob to arest you.

The system doesn't work to help the police I'm afraid.