non tree related legal advice needed

flatyre

bat it off to the insurers and save yourself the stress.

That is after all, what you pay the insurerers for .

The problem with involving the insurers for such a small claim is that the OP's father will most likely lose some of his no-claims-discount and have a fault claim on his record.

Next year, when it's renewal time, the insurers ramp up the premium, and for the next four years too. Remember the question - 'have you had any claims or accidents in the last five years?'

The increase in premiums will far outweigh the cost of settling directly.

I know this from bitter experience - some t**t insisted he went through my insurers for knocking off his number plate (stuck on) in a car park. Result - £783 claim against me! And my insurer thought that was a reasonable claim for the damage done.

Edited by Ilnumero

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was there no damage to the car that would make it worth a combined claim on the insurance? If its a protected policy it shouldn't affect it should it providing the claims don't exceed the allowed quota ?

Is there an excess payment on the policy and how much ? if its around the level of the quotes theres not much to be gained from involving the insurance company , unless there is legal protection on the policy to fight it, although in insurance terms its a relatively small amount and they would possibly just pay it as it would be cheaper for them.

I wouldn't involve the insurance company if at all possible. They don't act for you, they act for their shareholders. It's a small claim, to them, so to avoid the risk of going to court they are likely to pay out and recuperate the cost from you with higher premiums.

I had a minor knock, which initially wasn't going to involve the insurance companies, which then escalated into whiplash claims and thousands of pounds. My insurance wouldn't fight it. The taxi driver I hit self-diagnosed his own injuries, never sought medical opinion but they paid out to avoid court.

I changed insurance companies after that.

My experience of claiming on insurance, when you have protected no claims bonus etc, is that whilst you still retain the same percentage discount built up over x amount of years, the renewal fee will be higher. You will have the discount on a higher premium/renewal cost, it's the discount that's protected not your claim history. Make a claim and your premiums will go up.

I had a minor knock, which initially wasn't going to involve the insurance companies, which then escalated into whiplash claims and thousands of pounds. My insurance wouldn't fight it. The taxi driver I hit self-diagnosed his own injuries, never sought medical opinion but they paid out to avoid court.

I changed insurance companies after that.

But they paid out and you didn't have to fund the spurious claim for whiplash. So how much in real terms did it cost you when you changed insurer?

I pay £350 for comprehensive insurance but haven't made a claim, if I had a £1000 claim against me it would take me 5 years to rebuild my no claims history, my premium would have to rise to 550 before it would hurt me financially not to go through insurance.

The problem with involving the insurers for such a small claim is that the OP's father will most likely lose some of his no-claims-discount and have a fault claim on his record.

Next year, when it's renewal time, the insurers ramp up the premium, and for the next four years too. Remember the question - 'have you had any claims or accidents in the last five years?'

The increase in premiums will far outweigh the cost of settling directly.

I know this from bitter experience - some t**t insisted he went through my insurers for knocking off his number plate (stuck on) in a car park. Result - £783 claim against me! And my insurer thought that was a reasonable claim for the damage done.

But it's already gone beyond a sum that the OP would be happy to pay from thier own pocket

Increased premiums is are unfortunate but let's not forget that the liability exists and while the other party hasn't followed insurance company "rules" in getting multiple quotes, it's what the beak decides that counts.

Litigation is risky and can be costly. You venture it at your risk