Rope in chipper!

inthewoods

Your ropeshould not neccessarily be in a rope bag. Well actually, yess i guess so if you can afford it. But some cannot, so should not be the 'be all and end all' of this debate. I certainly do not have all my ropes in rope bags for various reasons.

No, you don't have to have your climbing rope in a bag, but as stated, then it should be behind the tree farthest from your drop zone. I keep it in a bag because it makes pulling a line through or rerouting a line easier as I get the groundie to attach the rope to the bag and all 50m of rope comes up in one hit, I also lower the risk my rope getting tangled in brash. I'll admit I am a neat freak and prefer everything organised.

As for cost, there are far more expensive things than a rope bag, especially if it lowers the risk of an accident.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you're spiking up a single stem tie your rope in a bundle and attach it to your belt.

Keep shorter ropes, too many peeps using 200 ft of rope for a 40ft tree.

In an ideal world your rope should be just long enough to rappel down to the ground.

Edited by Mick Dempsey

Your ropeshould not neccessarily be in a rope bag. Well actually, yess i guess so if you can afford it. But some cannot, so should not be the 'be all and end all' of this debate. I certainly do not have all my ropes in rope bags for various reasons.

You can get a basic rope bag for £15 Marc.

If you really can't afford one it may be time to reconsider career choices.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

Years ago at a national arb day, the boss of Midland Tree Surgeons - Robert Kennedy, was doing a piece to camera (local tv). Standing next to and (unfortunately in) coils of climbing & lowering ropes, saws etc.

One of the demo gangs close by was feeding brush into a chipper...

Suddenly in a scene out of horror film, rope was caught into the chipper and in a split second Robert Kennedy's leg transformed into a corkscrew!

Luckily his leg was saved but he has scars to scare the kids.

You can get a basic rope bag for £15 Marc.

If you really can't afford one it may be time to reconsider career choices.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

Fair point, though the price (although i mentioned nothing else) was not the main point in my mind. As i said, some of my ropes are in rope bags. When repositioning ropes etc, it is not always easy to keep them in bags all the time. A decent bit of ground management should be all it takes to not chip ropes. It is certainly a point worth discussing, i often harp onto the lads about this and shall be having a brief tool box talk today showing them this video. I think they will understand more once seeing that.