advice needed for removing wood and brash from steep garden

flatyre

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know what people are like scbk.

Burning is totally legal, but it can't be 'nuisance causing' and green conny produces a lot of smoke.

I'm with Ben, extra bodies and a second truck to keep the flow going.

Start at the top and keep the brash drag in the duff so you needn't hammer the lawn further down.

14' is pretty wide, there will be some volume.

Add the required bodies to keep the chipper fed and you'll smash it in a day.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

Agree with you there, I feel that getting the stuff up to the chipper is the easy part, it'll take some time to cut it down for a chipper unless there's a good sized chipper on site, either way chipping it all will be slow and unless there's a fairly large chip truck it'll be quite a few runs to dump chip. There might not be much room for 2 trucks/trailers so if there's only one I'd drag a load up 1st, reduce, chip and take the 1st load away, while the 1st load is being dumped drag up and start to reduce down a 2nd load ready for when the transport returns. Hired in cranes/tractors/quads are only going to be sat around waiting between loads and the meter will still be running so to speak.

Without having had a look in person I'd say minimum is 2 trailers, one vehicle towing, a good sized chipper, say 8" and a winch either portable or truck mounted to get the stuff up to the chipper in as large a piece as possible. I reckon 2 days minimum if there isn't room for a large squad to actually work without getting under each others feet or being stood around too much. IMO it'll come down to how quickly you can chip a load, dump it and get back on site.

I'd go for smallish scale and slow and put the cost in time rather than large scale equipment that has to be hired in, time doesn't appear to be an issue if the house is going to be empty for 8 months or so.

Wot's at the very bottom of the garden over the hedge?

Can't quite make it out but doesn't look like a garden.

My 1st option would be looking at other access wether neighbours gardens or better still a farmers field, not as precious about cutting it up.

it does look a better route in the last photo out past the swings and by the blue plastic railway fence depending where that goes too?

Even a quad will make a mess dragging stuff up a hill like that even in dry weather.

Wot u could do is set up an 'A' frame with scaffold poles or better leave the 1st tree standing but sned out like a tottem pole and use that as a high anchor point for a pulley and run a rope throu it onto the back of a quad so the quad is driving on the flat (ideally a drive) if u put big brash heaps/trees on top of a tarp or something and skided them up that way.

If u could get them draged up the line of stumps it would be ideal as no mess(but obviously just to side so not hanking constantly)

If u wanted to get really clever u could tie a piece of blue poly onto ur drag line so who evers down the hill can pull the rope back without ever going up the hill :sneaky2:

Winches on motors aren't really designed for doing jobs like that u'll either burn it out, flatten battery, or both.

But it would take forever and a day as usually dead slow and having to stop every 10m to adjust ur rope and wind the winch cable back out.

If u go down the fire route phone the polis and fire brigade first and tell them ur having a fire,

Take ur time and really build up the heat with the stems before u put too much branch on, when the fire is really really going u don't get half the smoke of it (or mibee is just gone that quick).

I've burnt a lot of brash doing up my house, when fire going good it will have burnt a heaped quad trailer with big greedy pins by time i've loaded the next 1. Works great u turn the last lot off ends in before u chuck extra brash on.

There is an art to a good fire and quite rewarding/addictive too