Briquettes

Bri

It's not the public buying these from the log guy, it's these stores some now are solid briquettes which each one will burn for two-three hours

I think selling to the store would be a cut throat business. Seeing plenty of these briquettes stacked up at the front door of Tesco and B&Q. Selling direct to public would have better margin but then competing with stores. Brave man to sell all and invest in briquettes.

Sent from my Alba 10" using Tapatalk

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad they don't appear to be catching on but think they are good value. Hotties Heatlogs Full Pallet

They are 39.5p pre kg. Our logs work out around 30p per kg but are appreciably wetter so probably very similar pounds per kWh plus neatly packaged. Seen a restaurant in Plymouth that runs their wood burner on them and beautiful flames and burn for a good long time.

The thing to remember is that all briquettes are not the same - there's a HUGE variance in quality and specification. Just as there is when comparing firewood 'logs'.

A 'good' briquette is an excellent source of fuel for someone with limited storage space. A bad briquette is no use to anyone...

Glad they don't appear to be catching on but think they are good value. Hotties Heatlogs Full Pallet

They are 39.5p pre kg. Our logs work out around 30p per kg but are appreciably wetter so probably very similar pounds per kWh plus neatly packaged. Seen a restaurant in Plymouth that runs their wood burner on them and beautiful flames and burn for a good long time.

Those heatlogs have been made in a screw press, the outsides tend to be charred from the heat and friction of extruding them. I think of briquettes as being about 50mm round and made in a ram press, they look like big pellets and make sense for a joinery firm with sawdust to dispose of. All these three products from waste depend on being less than 10% mc to hold together without binders.

I have hankered after trying a shimada screw press to make logs from autumn leaves but they are expensive and use a fair amount of power.

£395/tonne at <10%mc doesn't compare very well with pellets at £260/tonne, how did you estimate your log price at £300/tonne?

A dry cube (20%) comes in around 350 kg and we sell at £100 per cube

Isn't that a delivered price? Is that delivery figured in the Hotties price?

Aesthetically they are not as pleasing and I thing we agreed logs are a luxury good?

The basic density for common hardwood commonly used for logs is in the range 600-680kg/m^3 so, given at 20% mc much of the shrinking has occurred then I infer slightly better than 50% stacking.

Isn't that a delivered price? Is that delivery figured in the Hotties price?

Aesthetically they are not as pleasing and I thing we agreed logs are a luxury good?

The basic density for common hardwood commonly used for logs is in the range 600-680kg/m^3 so, given at 20% mc much of the shrinking has occurred then I infer slightly better than 50% stacking.

350 kg is for a loose cube not stacked.