Community speed watches

Steve Bullman

Keeping on at the council can have unwanted effects too!

On an estate near me they put in those stupid give way to oncoming traffic chicanes.

Yet people park far too close to them due to stupidity and no double yellow lines that the road is far more dangerous than before. There is a campaign to take them out again supported by the residents

Im going to get a bit of abuse but I'm trained. By no means am I a purfect driver

A group of us all parents no retirees from our village where trained by the local PCSO, took about an hour.

In Gloucestershire all we do is record speeds no regestrations are recorded it's about gathering data to determine what appropriate coarse of action should be taken i.e. Mobile van or traffic calming measures.

All the CSW is trying to do is make there community safer and to help slow speeding drivers down.

I guess if someone got knocked down or a serious accident happened and people where seriously injured or killed then we would all think it was tragic even those that hate Do gooders!

Im going to get a bit of abuse but I'm trained. By no means am I a purfect driver

In Gloucestershire all we do is record speeds no regestrations are recorded it's about gathering data to determine what appropriate coarse of action should be taken i.e. Mobile van or traffic calming measures.

All the CSW is trying to do is make there community safer and to help slow speeding drivers down.

Do you cover the lethal bit on the A46?

No abuse from me - this activity is extremely low cost to the taxpayer and at the very least should help people to remember to check their speed without any penalties, unlike a police run check.

I live in the last but one house in a linear settlement village, about 1.5miles long. It is a 30 limit in the village, then national speed limit. There is a slight s-bend in the road. I regularly see people coming in to the village still doing ~50 and leaving the village frustrated by having to slow down, already having accelerated to over 40. I have also seen idiots who, fed up with following someone doing 30, decide to overtake so are doing 60+. There have been three major accidents in the 8yrs we have lived here. Every morning I have to cross the road to take my children (5 and 7) to the bus stop. I have visibility of around 100yds one way, 150yds the other. This is plenty to see cars doing 30 or a bit over. On a couple of occasions we have had to run to make it across due to a car coming so fast it wasn't in sight when we started crossing. All it would take would be a child to trip when forced to start running and there is no chance that cars going at this speed could stop in time.

Yes I sometimes exceed the speed limit, but I will face the consequences if I get caught doing so, whoever it is that catches me.

Alec

got some the other day with their board out showing the speed and i slowed right down and shouted that no good to me only do double digit and i and aiming for the full ton 100mph then took of with the biggest wheel spin the truck could do and fast as i could do then came back by in a hour and stopped and asked if i got the magic 100

Do you cover the lethal bit on the A46?

No abuse from me - this activity is extremely low cost to the taxpayer and at the very least should help people to remember to check their speed without any penalties, unlike a police run check.

I live in the last but one house in a linear settlement village, about 1.5miles long. It is a 30 limit in the village, then national speed limit. There is a slight s-bend in the road. I regularly see people coming in to the village still doing ~50 and leaving the village frustrated by having to slow down, already having accelerated to over 40. I have also seen idiots who, fed up with following someone doing 30, decide to overtake so are doing 60+. There have been three major accidents in the 8yrs we have lived here. Every morning I have to cross the road to take my children (5 and 7) to the bus stop. I have visibility of around 100yds one way, 150yds the other. This is plenty to see cars doing 30 or a bit over. On a couple of occasions we have had to run to make it across due to a car coming so fast it wasn't in sight when we started crossing. All it would take would be a child to trip when forced to start running and there is no chance that cars going at this speed could stop in time.

Yes I sometimes exceed the speed limit, but I will face the consequences if I get caught doing so, whoever it is that catches me.

Alec

You say it's low cost to the tax payer. When the police came to our parish council meeting they advised that we needed six volunteers, all would need half a days training and kitting out with advance warning signs and hi viz clothing. That money paid for permanent chevron signs to remind people that they are approaching a sharp bend, I know which I would prefer.

Change of subject..... We asked the local council for some dog shite bins, sorry came the answer, we can't afford to install them...... My reply was you supply the bins we will fit them FOC, bins arrived, me and a local farmer fitted them to existing street furniture, job done.

I get sick of people moaning when they won't get out there and do stuff to help out in their own village.

Yr.

Change of subject..... We asked the local council for some dog shite bins, sorry came the answer, we can't afford to install them...... My reply was you supply the bins we will fit them FOC, bins arrived, me and a local farmer fitted them to existing street furniture, job done.

Who empties them? Who pays?

Our local civic amenities place wouldn't allow the charity to take the dog crap to their residual waste skips because it was commercial hazardous waste.

Don't speed , simple!

I live in a small village and people drive through it too fast all the time, fancy hitting a kid at 40mph first thing in the morning while you are running late and not concentrating!

I watch people text while speeding down past the school kids walking to school! Idiots!

Good on the community for getting together and helping out the over stretched police .

Sorry guys but I'm with Stephen here.

I live in a wee village and it's getting busier and busier. It's really old and only half the folks have got off street parking so the narrow streets are made single lane by parked cars.

I quite often walk my little uns up to the shops and I'm utterly sick of all the t**ts who hurl through the village at top speed and past us just inches away. Our house is on the main road through and next to one of the bits where it goes down to single lane because of parked cars. I'm constantly hearing the screech of brakes and skidding of 4x4s towing plant trailers and big tractors with massive ag trailers as they realise they're coming head on with someone who's coming through the single lane bit. We've had half a dozen road rage incidents over 'who's got right of way' outside the house and a couple of big hit and runs on parked cars overnight.

It's not at all unusual to be walking up the road and have someone mount the pavement to avoid an oncoming vehicle. It's bad enough when it's just you, but it goes to a whole new level when you've got your four year old holding hands with you.

I totally understand how annoying it is for non-coppers to be seen wielding a speed gun, but all these folks are trying to do it is self help in an environment where police resources are scant and traffic volumes are ever rising.

You've got to ask yourself what's more important? - arriving on time (or just driving as fast as you want) against potentially causing loss of life.

I've got to 'fess up to not being perfect - I ride a fireblade and love going fast but now being on the other side of the coin, walking my daughter up to the shops, has really brought this home to me. I quite often glare angrily at (particularly) the BMW/Audi/SUV drivers and almost always get the arrogant 'what are you staring at' kinda look back.

Boils my p**s it does.