Taking on an Apprentice?

benedmonds

We have a young lad, son of one of our employees who wants a position as an apprentice. He did work experience with us and we have him in on Saturdays some times to help out. He is keen to be taken on as an apprentice, as he is a good worker, I would like to help if we can. But to be honest I don't want to be stuck with all the training costs... again..

What is the best way to go about it. Does he need to be connected with a college? Is there funding available to me as an employer? Anyone taken one on recently, as I believe things have changed?

Hi Ben, I believe the 'arrangement' does have to take place in conjunction with a recognized training provider, in effect, e.g. a land-based college, as it is they who approve the funding aspect.

See https://www.gov.uk/guidance/trees-and-timber-apprenticeships and perhaps speak to Stuart at Lantra who is probably best placed to advise...along with others who have experience.

Good luck,

Paul

I'm just taking one on now. You do have to do it in conjunction with a college. With the college mine is with he has to attend every other Tuesday which is still counted as a work day so he must still be paid.

As previously mentioned you get £1500 funding after around 3-4 months of him starting which I use for PPE, tickets etc. but if you wanted you could spend it on t bags so he gets really good at making the brews before his apprenticeship finishes :thumbup:

As a training provider who isn't part of a college we offer a more flexible approach to apprenticeships. Our apprentices don't need to attend every week or fortnight but they do have regular review visits. You should be able to apply for an AGE grant for £1500 to help towards paying your apprentice during training (not on Teabags). It may be worth you contacting your local funding agency to see if there are any non-college providers near you to help with flexibility.

• 4 months later...

What do you guys pay apprentices

Got 1 starting next week working towards the required 300hrs work based aspect of a level 3 arb course.

Do you consider the experience and some real world training pay enough, put them on books at a student rate whatever that is, min wage, or buy them bits of kit to keep as they earn them.

Sent from my D5803 using Arbtalk mobile app

I'm in a similar position myself. Got my son starting an apprentaship with me in early summer. Doing it through Myerscough College. Haven't talked about money yet, but I'd rather pay him a bit more as he's my son than pay it in tax.

From your own perspective, I'd see how he goes on. If he's on time, hard working and willing to Learn, then perhaps he deserves a bit more than minimum wage.

Some very radical changes to the apprenticeship system came into effect this week. See here:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/apprenticeship-levy-how-it-will-work/apprenticeship-levy-how-it-will-work

and more importantly for most people on arbtalk here:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/apprenticeship-levy-how-it-will-work/apprenticeship-levy-how-it-will-work#non-levy-paying-employers

These have gone through very quickly and nobody has quite worked out how to implement them yet, but for most businesses which want to take on apprentices this will probably turn out to be a very good thing.

Alec

There are a whole lot of changes going on to the apprenticeship system. Later this month the employer steering committee, which managed the development of the new apprenticeship standards, will be hosting a meeting for training providers for Forestry, Arb and Horticulture apprenticeships, to discuss the implications for them and the content of the new 'trailblazer' apprenticeships.

The standards are still waiting their final ministerial sign off so that they can be offered.

Until the middle of last month, the funding levels had not been agreed, which would explain why provider would have been hesitant about quoting costs.

The Skills Funding Agency have a register of 'Approved Providers' which, as you'd expect, includes many of the colleges. However, there will be independent trainers who will get onto that register, or sub the work for the college.