110/130 weight carrying ability

Green wood

We have a 130 but its too small for your main truck if you do general domestic work. You can probably legally carry more then a transit as I imagine it weighs less..? It cost more than any of our other vehicles, is the oldest, least comfortable to drive and carrys the least, it is therefore generally the back up vehicle, but when you need to go off road which we do every now and then it is invaluable. It will also last forever in a triggers broom sort of way.

All of this ^ plus, trying to find a decent one that hasn't been fragged or bodged at anything like a sensible price is a big ask at the moment. Prices are ridiculous.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi Carlos is the works 130 used solely for commercial or off road stuff. Do you do any domestic with it? Cheers Phil.

it does every thing ,mostly domestic, tows a 6" tracked chipper each day, so often the chip stays onsite but not always.

it does a bit of off road stuff seems very capable and leaves a very light foot print even when loaded with chip.

we are in a rural area so a transit would nt really suit as we are often in fields to accsess the trees, backs of gardens etc.

carl

Only certain Defender 110's are rated at 3500kg, most are 3050kg. Only a Defender130 is 3500kg.

I regularly carry a full payload of 1.5tonnes on Defender TD5 without the wallowing affect others report. How? Easy, I uprated the polybushes all round to blue, unrated the coils front and rear and fitted air springs at the rear. They're linked to the compressor used for the air lockers and are totally adjustable.

When empty, the pressure is about 5 - 10 psi which gives a smoother ride, when loaded the pressure is more like 30 - 35 psi and the defender rides level and doesn't misbehave.

It's also got a JE Engineering Stage 1 remap that has given it a new lease of life and helps when fully loaded and pulling a trailer.

not a landrover but I use a tata tipper with alloy chip body, it replaced a transit with chip body on.

The weight carrying ability (legally) is almost the same but the tata is 2.2m3 and the transit was 5.8m3.

I miss the ability to carry the volume but far less likely to be overloaded!

Its very easy to put 3t of chip on a transit!!!

Only certain Defender 110's are rated at 3500kg, most are 3050kg. Only a Defender130 is 3500kg.

It pays to check the plate of any of them including 130's. we have come across a couple of 130's plated at 3050kg

My 130 alloy body with wood floor non tipper has a payload of 1400kg

My land rover has cost a fair bit this year in repairs, but it's done over 200k. While chip box volume is less than a transit, ime it carries the weight better, tows better and has a low range box. That being said it's slow and leaks water into the cab. But 3 days out of 5 we need to go off road and a transit couldn't get close. So I've got no choice really.

Depends what you want to do next with it. The 3.5T truck thing is all noise anyway, doesn't matter if it's a land rover, transit or whatever, you'll be over weight before lunch on most jobs...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Arbtalk mobile app