Kiln dried wood burning too fast/expensive for some people

cessna

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Something that never gets mentioned is an open fire, I take it kiln dried would Burn almost instantly on an open fire that just draws

Why don't they simply turn their stove down?

If it's an open fire bigger logs are best.

Slower burning wet logs are a false economy, as they are simply wasting heat.

:001_rolleyes::001_rolleyes:

That's crazy. For someone like ourselves (who operate a stove 24 hours a day over winter - sometimes the stove doesn't see a lit match for 4-6 weeks over winter) we need to be able to shut the fire down in order to moderate the heat output. With large bits of firewood, 4-8 hour stoking intervals are fine. How could you do that if you always operated the stove with full air?

Its all driven by CE regs and emissions requirements, these are in turn driven by the Kyoto agreement on green house gases. Emissions regs are currently covered by the 2014 regs, there are planned tighter sets coming through in 2020 and 2022.

The 2022 regs if they do in fact come forward will effectively ban the burning on any solid fuel ( coal, smokeless fuels but NOT wood) in any appliance launched in 2022 or later. This is why most of the cutting edge stove builders have only been working on wood burning stoves for the last 5 years.

So if you want an old design stove than is able to be closed down do it soon while you still can.

A

Its all driven by CE regs and emissions requirements, these are in turn driven by the Kyoto agreement on green house gases. Emissions regs are currently covered by the 2014 regs, there are planned tighter sets coming through in 2020 and 2022.

The 2022 regs if they do in fact come forward will effectively ban the burning on any solid fuel ( coal, smokeless fuels but NOT wood) in any appliance launched in 2022 or later. This is why most of the cutting edge stove builders have only been working on wood burning stoves for the last 5 years.

So if you want an old design stove than is able to be closed down do it soon while you still can.

A

I fully understand that the efficiency of systems with a tertiary air supply is superior. However such systems have an inherent level of complication (especially if a boiler is used with a buffer tank) that I find unappealing. I just like having a massive stove that I periodically lob 2ft logs into!

Given that restricting air flow is a form of heat storage (deferring heat output until a later stage in the burn cycle), what else can be done to even out heat supply during the periods when the stove/boiler is not being refueled? We've not lit our fire for several weeks - just restoked it.

I fully understand that the efficiency of systems with a tertiary air supply is superior. However such systems have an inherent level of complication (especially if a boiler is used with a buffer tank) that I find unappealing. I just like having a massive stove that I periodically lob 2ft logs into!

Given that restricting air flow is a form of heat storage (deferring heat output until a later stage in the burn cycle), what else can be done to even out heat supply during the periods when the stove/boiler is not being refueled? We've not lit our fire for several weeks - just restoked it.

I am talking about stoves not water boilers. I have very limited knowledge of boiler stoves and even less about boilers.

Boiler stoves by and large are multifuel, so can burn solid fuel and normally have old type control layouts, thus can be closed down. I sell about 3% boiler stoves, maybe less.

My only experience with a boiler is my own pellet boiler at home, that runs hard when its running and is thermostatically controlled, no close down feature on it at all.

A

It sounds as mental as exhaust gas recirculation on modern diesels. No doubt it's fantastic scientifically, but a bit lacking in the real world.

I sometimes think that the Germanic (and Russian) ceramic and masonry stoves built in stoves make a lot of sense, where bone dry softwood is burnt in full air very fast (and cleanly) and the mass of the stove soaks up the heat, releasing it slowly into the room over hours. A couple of rip-roaring fires a day, and there's no tar, slow burning, and very little heat heading up the chimney.