Cougar Blue

stewmo

On the subject of 11.7mm Yale rope. I bought a 11.7mm Hedera been using it on and off for a year now on both SRT and DdRT. My main line is Yale 13mm XTC (for both SRT and DdRT)

The 11.7mm Hedera - Worst tree climbing rope I've ever used apart from Marlow Gecko and Beal Bonsai (the two official worst ropes ever)

It feels like it's made of fabric rather than proper rope. Stupidly bouncy, lacks durability, seems to go very narrow under load (no I'm not obese). It's a shite rope. Yale should be ashamed of themselves.

When it's time to retire it I'll burn it and send the vid to Yale.

Yale Hedera 11.7mm

Don't buy it.

Edited by scotspine1

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On the subject of 11.7mm Yale rope. I bought a 11.7mm Hedera been using it on and off for a year now on both SRT and DdRT. My main line is Yale 13mm XTC (for both SRT and DdRT)

The 11.7mm Hedera - Worst tree climbing rope I've ever used apart from Marlow Gecko and Beal Bonsai (the two official worst ropes ever)

It feels like it's made of fabric rather than proper rope. Stupidly bouncy, lacks durability, seems to go very narrow under load (no I'm not obese). It's a shite rope. Yale should be ashamed of themselves.

When it's time to retire it I'll burn it and send the vid to Yale.

Yale Hedera 11.7mm

Don't buy it.

Interested that you use 13mm rope Scotspine. Why do you prefer?

Thanks

Interested that you use 13mm rope Scotspine. Why do you prefer?

Thanks

Easier to grip, the narrower the rope diameter the harder your forearm flexor muscles have to work (even with good gripper gloves).

The 13mm feels about right to me. Some narrower diameter ropes like New England Fly (11mm) feel better to grip than the 11.7 Hedera. Could be the Hedera elongates too much under load especially on SRT making it feel very narrow like 10mm. it's a very stretchy rope especially on SRT.

I also found the Ropewrench works well on the 13mm Yale XTC.

Edited by scotspine1

thanks, so the en1891 is more stretchy than other regulations - presumably a good thing in the event of a fall, but not so good whilst climbing the rest of the time.

Presumably, but that is up for debate as the en standard is not based around tree work, unlike arguably the ansi standard the "other" cougar blue is tested to, and by stretchy it is still essential a static rope and nothing you would want to take a fall on!

Personally i think its a crock of **** to call the CE Cougar Blue by that name as it is misleading.

Personally you will have to prize the ANSI standard from my cold dead hands, and if someone tries to tell me that its not safe to climb on in this latitude but if I fly across the water then it is safe then so be it.

The non CE rope performs how I want it to and is more suited to my application, if rope access can also use no CE rope for climbing then why not our industry?

Edited by Marc

Interesting facts all round, thanks for sharing - no idea how you know this stuff....

and well that's a pretty solid recommendation for ANSI vs CE.... Will have to try to see what the difference is....

Looked into buying from the US, it's a hell of a lot more than the UK prices - guess the exchange rate hasn't helped. Better get on the blower to Nod and grab some Cougar from him...

:thumbup:

Presumably, but that is up for debate as the en standard is not based around tree work, unlike arguably the ansi standard the "other" cougar blue is tested to, and by stretchy it is still essential a static rope and nothing you would want to take a fall on!

Personally i think its a crock of **** to call the CE Cougar Blue by that name as it is misleading.

Personally you will have to prize the ANSI standard from my cold dead hands, and if someone tries to tell me that its not safe to climb on in this latitude but if I fly across the water then it is safe then so be it.

The non CE rope performs how I want it to and is more suited to my application, if rope access can also use no CE rope for climbing then why not our industry?

Applause!

I climb on Bluemoon.

Because I can.